Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

--WAITRESS, BUT NO SERVICE--

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you have left a tip?

Options:

YES

NO

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

So, I went to Golden Corral with my 3 year old yesterday.

And our waitress never came by our table to serve us.

She didn't even pick up the tray, not even a hello.

So, I have never done this before, but I left her  no tip.

I don't understand why she chose not to serve us.

That has never happened to me before.

I saw her stop to serve the table next to me, and the other tables.

I felt like saying something, but I didn't.

I thought of reporting her, but I didn't.

What would you have done?

If you are a waitress, have you ever not served one of your customers.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heartsandskulls
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:57 PM

ive never worked in a buffet before so i dont know the protocol. maybe you werent in her section?

im not sure. i do know i would of said something, asked to talk to the manager at least about what happened. in an instance like this, i think its ok to not leave a tip. she didnt do anything.

pregnancy week by week
momcat437
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Why would you tip a server who didn't serve??  I probably wouldn't have said anything, but I know my dh would have definitely talked to the manager!

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

IanAndMillasMom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I would not have left a tip either

adamjackie
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I was a server and no I would not have tipped. I also would have complained to someone. We rarely go out to eat but when we do I figure I m spending our hard earned money and I want to be treated well. We went out with our 2 kids Friday for dinner. The server was great! He was great with the kids and kepts our drinks full and the plates cleared even though he was really busy. He got behind and asked for help and the manager came and helped him catch up. He got a 25% tip.

SotilSol
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

No.  We always tip based on service.  There is no tip for nonexistent service.

That reminds me of this server we had at Ryan's (buffet place, kind of like Golden Corral).  He gave us the dirtiest looks, hardly stopped at our table, and when we left, he looked at my DH and mumbled, "Have a nice life," very snootily.  Needless to say, his tip was less than minimal.

orcadarwin
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM

We tip based on service as well. 

I've also gotten treated badly at Ryan's like you.  I wanted a steak and this was before they put steak on the bar.  I ordered a steak off the menu, and when it was brought to the table, it was still mooing at me.  I was pregnant at the time, so I had to have it well done.  I stuck my fork in it to cut it and blood run out everywhere, but the outside was black as could be.  The server came by the table, so I sent it back to the kitchen and told him that I wanted a new one.  Well, after about 10 minutes, he came back with the same exact steak, still mooing.  He never once came to the table other than those two times.  He recieved very minimal tip if any.

Quoting SotilSol:

No.  We always tip based on service.  There is no tip for nonexistent service.

That reminds me of this server we had at Ryan's (buffet place, kind of like Golden Corral).  He gave us the dirtiest looks, hardly stopped at our table, and when we left, he looked at my DH and mumbled, "Have a nice life," very snootily.  Needless to say, his tip was less than minimal.

adulation
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM

in that situation i wouldnt have left a tip BUT i dont understand why you didn't speak up and say something.  maybe you weren't in her section and she thought someone else was supposed to help you. 

owner of single and never married moms        owner of birth control forum

lizzeh
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:57 PM

What was she doing? The only time I tip at Buffets is if they get us our drinks and plates. Usually though, you get it yourself.

I'll quit nursing my daughter when she can explain to me the homoeroticism between Othello and Iago.

Mama2Becks
by on May. 11, 2009 at 3:25 AM

I am a server at Golden Corral, and no, if you were my table, I wouldn't have ignored you. Even when people are mean, picky, snotty for no apparent reason, I still serve them, with a smile on my face. The way they split up the tables though can be REALLY confusing, so maybe she didn't know you were hers? Although, if I walked by you a time or two and saw that nobody else had taken your tray, and that you didn't have hot rolls sitting at your table, then I would say it was safe to assume you were either A) my table or B) belonged to someone else, but they weren't doing they're job! :) I'm sorry you had a bad experience. *hugs*

JCTVCBN
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Quoting Mama2Becks:

I am a server at Golden Corral, and no, if you were my table, I wouldn't have ignored you. Even when people are mean, picky, snotty for no apparent reason, I still serve them, with a smile on my face. The way they split up the tables though can be REALLY confusing, so maybe she didn't know you were hers? Although, if I walked by you a time or two and saw that nobody else had taken your tray, and that you didn't have hot rolls sitting at your table, then I would say it was safe to assume you were either A) my table or B) belonged to someone else, but they weren't doing they're job! :) I'm sorry you had a bad experience. *hugs*

Thanks.

If only every waitress were more like you. : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)