Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what's with my 6 month old's eye?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was holding my 6 mo old daughter today, and it was windy..I assumed something blew in her eye, because she went from being happy, to crying and rubbing her eye just like that. Well, I checked her eye, can't see anything..but 20 min. later it is swollen, not quite shut...and she keeps crying. Her actual eyeball is fine, not red, but her eye is swollen and keeps watering. She just got up from a good nap, and her eye was almost all better. I take her out ofher dark bedroom, and into the bright LR,and she starts screaming rubbing that eye..now its all swollen again and watery. So...now I have her in the dimly lit room, and the eye is almost all better again. what is this!? I have looked, and it seems fine! only when we go into a bright room, ...really strange. anyone have any ideas!? maybe a bug sting?

I am a homeschooling, non-vaccinating,work at homespanking, love to be outside, love my 3 girls, husband supporting, formula feeding (not by choice :), home-made babyfood makin', northern blood, use common sense mommy to twin girls Ashleigh &  Autymn and baby Audrey.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baly2001
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM

idk..but here is a bump

jennifer16
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM

maybe something got in there and scratched her eye somehow..  when I had my eye scratched it would not bother me too bad unless I got in the sunlight or a really bright room and it would tear up and start burning.. I would call her doctor

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

ah, a scratch...didn't think of that. thanks!

I am a homeschooling, non-vaccinating,work at homespanking, love to be outside, love my 3 girls, husband supporting, formula feeding (not by choice :), home-made babyfood makin', northern blood, use common sense mommy to twin girls Ashleigh &  Autymn and baby Audrey.

jazzyandpat
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM

tell you the truth i dont know. im not even going to try to guess on this one. but i can tell yea is i would call her dr. eyes are nothing to mess with one wrong thing and she might go blind. im not trying to scare yea but it can happen.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I know that Styes can be worse in light... like light sensitivity... and that they can come on pretty quick.... But I would give the on-call pediatrician a call and see what they think... I wouldn't mess around with eyes/vision, KWIM? 

i-love-my-irish-kids.gif
Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam Patrick and Molly Kate

ForeverMeme
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I would also check with the dr.......when my daughter was small she got something in her eye and the dr. gave her some lotion type med that disolved as soon as it hit her pupil and it healed up fast. You don't want it to get infected. 

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

everything I just researched about a tear, says the eye would be very red. That;s what's confusing..it's not red at all! ug. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this is a rush to the ER thing...or wait til tomorrow thing.

katzmeow726
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Its probably not an ER thing, however it a doctor or urgent care thing you'll want to take care of tomorrow.  Tonight, warm compresses and some visene.  Keep the lights down low, and watch her carefully to make sure she doesn't rub it too much.  It sounds more like a stye than anything.  Those generally run their course, but the doc may be able to give you something to help.

Quoting hoping4number3:

everything I just researched about a tear, says the eye would be very red. That;s what's confusing..it's not red at all! ug. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this is a rush to the ER thing...or wait til tomorrow thing.

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
amb_josh
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I had a deep scratch on my eye and it didnt turn red. It was bad enough though that i had to wear a patch for a while. I would call her doc anyway, i know this is sunday, but eyes are not something to wait it out.

Quoting hoping4number3:

luvbeingamommy3
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM

My youngest daughter scratched my eye with her nail and my eye never got red but I could see the scratch right across the pupil. My lids did swell and light only made it worse. Just take her in they have special stuff to drop in the eye and then use a black light to see the scratch if there is one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)