Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

yet another question about restaurant tipping : )

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:33 PM
  • 26 Replies

I was just wondering what you guys do when you order take-out from a restaurant. Usually you have to go pick it up at the bar or something - do you guys leave tips then? I never know what to do!!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SGJsmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I don't tip if I go to pick it up. I tip if they deliver.

Mommy2_two
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

No tip if I go pick it up...what would I be tipping them for?

jbhaleyrn
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

yeah, with delivery I always tip - usually very well.  Very very well if the weather is bad!!

Quoting SGJsmom:

I don't tip if I go to pick it up. I tip if they deliver.

jmsbowtie
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I do tip not as much as I would if we staying there and eating.  The waitress/or whoever is working still took your order and got it ready you you to take. 

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM

If there is a jar for tips ill throw spare change or a dollar in. 

"How many times must the cannonballs fly before they are forever banned? How many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry? And how many deaths will take till he knows that too many people have died? How man years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free? How many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesnt see? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind."-Bob Dylan

thisnametaken
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I don't know what the standard is for it.  The only take out we get that isn't fast food is a small family owned Chinese restaurant.  I usually tip them a couple of dollars for cooking it for me. 

If we were to go to Applebee's, where they bring it out to the car, I would probably tip a couple of bucks to the person who brought it out.

Maybe I'm undertipping though?  I don't know.

I'm a toe-stubbing, coffee drinking, loud laughing, chocolate addicted, chunky mom with a totally inappropriate sense of humor.
Educated moms don't ASSume that parenting choices are one size fits all.

Mom264
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I tip a little bit, but I never really understood why.  I still don't know why I do, I just do...  Sorry to be so vague.

RmeWifey01
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM

For restaurants that do take-out it is USUALLY the hostess who takes the order and runs it to the front, and they get paid a normal living wage so I do not tip for that. If it is delivery, then yes and pretty good on top of the delivery charge.

Quoting jmsbowtie:

I do tip not as much as I would if we staying there and eating.  The waitress/or whoever is working still took your order and got it ready you you to take. 

jesamomma25
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Do you get a tip when you cook it and give it to your family?? LOL if it's delivery tip like a mofo other wise take it and enjoy

maybaby08
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I always tip either way. I did the "to-go"s of a really high end place a few years ago. It's a lot of work at places like that. At pizza hut, etc, not so much. But if you have a large order or lots of parts to it. Especially if some are hot and some are cold, it's not so easy to keep track of everything and make sure everyone gets their entire order.

Yes we CAN and Yes we DID!!!!

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)