Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old refusing to drink milk now..

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

My nephew cannot have regular milk, so he drinks soy milk.
My 4 year old was over there the other day and noticed that his cousin wasn't drinking regular milk and now insists,

"I can't have cow milk, I get sick. Mommy, you need to buy me soy milk."

Well... soy milk is more expensive, and Aiden does not like the taste anyway, so I am not going to waste money buying it for him.. We gave him some earlier, and he made a face and said "Ok, I'm done now." but still refuses to take cow milk.

he LOVED milk before seeing his cousin drink soy milk, so... I'm not getting why he's refusing to drink it now.

I gave him a cup of it with dinner, and told him that's what he's getting.. we always do milk with dinner.. he sat there with his arms crossed and started crying. His sisters finished their milk.. including the 2 year old, who's a very slow drinker... and Aiden was still crying. Eventually,  I walked away and said "when you're done, I'll be in the other room."

..15 minutes later, he was still crying. Finally, I walked out there, took the cup and drank the milk myself. Telling him that was it, all done. (I gave him water instead)

So, anyone have any ideas on how to get him to drink milk again?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tdmag
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Maybe some chocolate.............or strawberry.......

If you are dealing with ALCOHOLISM you are NOT alone,if you or anyone you care about cant stop drinking.And its taking over your life,WE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

Hey its not just about our problems anymore,come have fun with us.Make new friends.Lets have some fun!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/94104

CLICK LINK ABOVE

We hope to see you soon!!!!!!

stormcris
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Buy one carton of the soy and use it somehow and then save the jug and put the regular milk in it.

thisnametaken
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Kids do the strangest things.  :-)

Maybe you can try to get calcium into him in other ways.  There are lots of calcium rich vegetables.   Or maybe he likes yogurt?

Maybe only give him plain water to drink for now.  It won't hurt him.

He's probably just being stubborn.  Better to wait him out than get in a head butting contest. 

I should know.  I lose every head butting contest around here.  LOL

I'm a toe-stubbing, coffee drinking, loud laughing, chocolate addicted, chunky mom with a totally inappropriate sense of humor.
Educated moms don't ASSume that parenting choices are one size fits all.

Lisa_C31
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting thisnametaken:

Maybe you can try to get calcium into him in other ways.  There are lots of calcium rich vegetables.   Or maybe he likes yogurt?

He's probably just being stubborn.  Better to wait him out than get in a head butting contest. 

You have a point there. Lol.. I lose every headbutting contest in this house, too....
Or, if by chance I get them to do what I want, I get a whiney kid who's mad that they didn't get to do it on their time.. it's a lose lose.

So, you're probably right.

unique_puzzle
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting thisnametaken:

I agree.  Every nutrient that can be obtained from milk can be obtained from other sources.  For example, broccoli is a good source of calcium.  I really wouldn't worry about it if he doesn't want to drink milk.  I don't buy any milk, and my children are quite healthy.  (they do drink some at pre school) 

anziomom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Quoting thisnametaken:

This:)

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Yup! I agree!  Surest way to end this is to not act bothered by it - he'll let it go.

I would just offer water, and wait for him to start asking for milk.

Quoting anziomom:

Quoting thisnametaken:

This:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)