Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"The Biggest Loser" So wrong. Get's me mad. I just don't understand.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM
  • 74 Replies

I hate The Biggest Loser.  I think it is sick and messed up.  Allow me to explain (not that you asked...too bad for you. lol)  These ppl are not just fat or vein. They are dieing, just like if they had cancer. Flat out, that's all there is too it.  Your body cannot function properly and you can not be healthy at that weight. They are seriously morbidly obese and are going to DIE if they do not do something about it. They odiously can't do it own their own which is why they come on this show for help.  Ok, fine so far.  But let's change it around just to put it in perspective.  What if there was an amazingly successful cancer treatment center that took in a group of ppl with cancer and started treating them.  Then, every week, they checked their progress and whoever was recovering well that week got to stay, if you were still dieing, well too bad, go home.  But it's ok cause it's a game on TV.  Would anyone think that was ok?  Well it is the same thing.  Yes it is.  Ppl argue that you can't get fat on accident and they could do something about it if they really tried and so on.  Well clearly, for some ppl it is not that simple.  Do they deserve to die for it? (I lie when charities call and tell them I am between jobs.  I think that is a lot more messed up than over eating but I don't think I should be killed for it. Anyway, just wanted to give an example. )I understand there has to be a winner and loser to make it fun for TV.  So fine, whoever loses the most weigh gets the money and if you don't then you don't win money.  Why do they have to be sent home to die?!  That is just my opinion. 

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyofMany4
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

BIG difference in cancer and being obese MOST choose to be overweight in their habits. Cancer is by no means not usually a choice. And its Dying.

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

i don't watch, but i thought they still got help even if they got sent home.? and they do learn what to do to lose weight while theyre there.

MommyofMany4
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM

they do

natalieg
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

They aren't sent home to die. They are sent home with the nutritional and exercise help they needed to at least get them started. If they really want to lose the weight, they'll remember what they were told while on the show and keep it up after they go home. At the end of the show they do a thing to see who kept up with it at home and who lost more at home and they also win something. Money or not, in the end they are all healthier than they were when they first started the show, Some people just need that kind of motivation to get it done.

jade08
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM

We have a friend who is one of the top trainers in northern ca. They flew him out to train a contestant on the Biggest Loser after she had been voted off. They still have help and support after they are sent home.

priceisright07
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Those people chose to play a game. They are taught alot even in the short time they are there. They can chose to use that knowledge when they get home. They can make better choices, they can get a personal trainer. They can go to the gym on there own. I don't believe they are being sent home to die, as you say. Many that go home do lose weight as you can see if you watch the season finale.  

jess_thorburn
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Quoting MommyofMany4:

BIG difference in cancer and being obese MOST choose to be overweight in their habits. Cancer is by no means not usually a choice. And its Dying.

Those ppl are like that because of a sickness.  It may be mental but they are dieing just the same and will be just as dead in the end.

MommytoIsabella
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

There is such a wide difference in the comparison between the two....when they are sent home, they can still continue the lifestyle changes they have been taught, and can continue to get well...not the same with those that have cancer. So make sure you have two equal comparisons before you try that. Cancer and weight loss is apples and oranges.

jess_thorburn
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Thank God.  I mean, who freakin' heartless could you be? I always thought it was so sick.

Quoting jade08:

We have a friend who is one of the top trainers in northern ca. They flew him out to train a contestant on the Biggest Loser after she had been voted off. They still have help and support after they are sent home.

two4one
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Cancer strikes anyone.

Being obese strikes those who overeat (most of the time).

You can get help at special places to stop gaining weight, just like you can get treatment for cancer.

It is not the responsibility of the show's producers to worry about these people after they are off the show. They chose to play a game. That's it.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)