Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TAX AUDIT!!! help

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just found out I'm being audited.  The IRS said that they have to audit a certain number of tax refunds a year and that my refund was just randomly picked, but I don't believe that.  All I claimed was my two kids and there daycare expenses and that's all.  I don't understand why a part time bank teller would be audited.  I prepared them myself on taxact.com.  Could it be because this is my first time filing in three years because I took time off to be with my kids, or is it because I'm getting so much back. I qualified for the earned income tax credit which bumped up my refund amount.  I know the refund amount is correct because I tried it on H & R blocks website and got the same exact dollar amount as taxact gave me.  Has anyone else been audited and what was the out come of it? I'm freaking out.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
adamko84
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM
First off, no I've never been audited. That said, a lady from our church is an auditor and she's helping me prepare my taxes this year, and she recommended taxact.com as well. She said that what you were told is true, a lot of the time it is simply RANDOM. Nothing personal about it. Sucks I know, but don't take it personally. As long as you have proper records to back up how you filed you're fine. Good luck and try not to panic!
Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Its prolly becuase you havent filied in 3 years they are gonna wanna know why.

ethanameliasmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM

We were randomly audited last year.  All I had to do was send in copies of all our paperwork regarding income and deductions and a printed copy of my return.  We corresponded through the mail a couple of times, but never had to meet in person.  I did my own taxes on the computer and everything turned out fine, we didn't owe them a penny.

mama_l
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Some can be completely random, and that will always be the answer, but as you have noted there are "red flags", you didn't file for 3 years and when you did you had a large refund.  Make sure you have all of your paperwork for the past 5 years or so, w-2s, tax forms, everything.  Do as they ask and do not fight it or work against them.  If you can afford an accountant, this is what they are there for, it is completely worth it.  The experiences I have had have varied, some good some bad.  The only thing you can do is be honest and give them what they ask for the rest is out of your hands at this point.  Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)