Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yes He Can Damn it ! ( Autism)

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM
  • 10 Replies

People feel sorry for my son. They say hes not normal , they say he doesent feel emotions. They say he cant enjoy life, he cant have fun , he cant do this , he cant do that , he cant do the other thing. They say this because he is Autistic. I am so sick of people saying he CANT. He CAN DAMN IT, HE CAN. He can enjoy his days , and he can be happy , and he can have fun , and he can enjoy himself. Why do the outsiders looking in feel sorry for him , and focus on what he cant do? Why do I have to and parents like me have to fight to remind people that our kids can do and can feel and can succeed? I am sick of it , because my SON CAN DO. Here he is today , enjoying his day , and his life, feeling happy and tired, and excited while we took 2 of our dogs on a hike through Leesburg State Park in Northern Virginia. He LOVED it and had a ball, and he did it and can do it again along with many other things. Why anyone would feel sorry for him is beyond me , I think he has a great life, he doesent feel sorry for himself and I dont either. He is what he is and we work with what we got , he succeds every day he gets out of bed.

Stopping on the trail for a photo.

Looking at shells on the beach

Tired at the end of the day, we hiked for 6 miles!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jitsmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM

People judge people by what they see and hear.    I know nothing about autism but would love to know the main details of how it affects the person but I'm afraid to ask because people take offence to questions  so I don't ask. Sounds like God picked the right parents for your son so keep up the good work.

greenie63
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM

This was beautiful momma! Our asd children can also reach for the stars!!!!!!! They are amazing children, they are our children and a blessing every day. My son inspires me every day to do my best in school, it fills my heart. They have feelings, have dreams, just face challenges and strive hard to overcome them. It gets a little frustrating seeing posts from mothers fearing "autism" almost like it's a death sentence. Our children are living, breathing human beings, just like any other child. yes there are different levels and severities but they are all children that love to be loved. The pictures are beautiful! glad your family had a wonderful day!!

jessdamian77
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:24 PM

>bravo!<

well said mama. My brother is autistic (high functioning) and its about time people stopped and learned about it rather than assume that they cant do anything

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Your sons pic is SO cute, he has such a huge smile!

Quoting greenie63:

This was beautiful momma! Our asd children can also reach for the stars!!!!!!! They are amazing children, they are our children and a blessing every day. My son inspires me every day to do my best in school, it fills my heart. They have feelings, have dreams, just face challenges and strive hard to overcome them. It gets a little frustrating seeing posts from mothers fearing "autism" almost like it's a death sentence. Our children are living, breathing human beings, just like any other child. yes there are different levels and severities but they are all children that love to be loved. The pictures are beautiful! glad your family had a wonderful day!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Mrs.Rossman
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM

well said momma...dont ever let someone tell him he cant do something...and if and when they do hopefully that will just give him even more motivation to prove them all wrong!

bluemomma22
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM

my brother has cerbal pausy and i hate it when we are out and about and all people do is look at em and dont say hi or smile! i kinda know what your saying tho. an im sorry that people are treating and saying things like that. they dont understand and are not willing to understand. how old is he?

Laureanne
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

My daughter is 15 and has aspergers It was definitely tough when she was little but to see how far she has come makes all the hard work worth it. Keep plugging and treating him like you would any other kid You know what he can handle and when to support him through novel situations He's gonna be fine

Laure

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM

He will be 13 in 23 days on April 1st. OMG a Teenager! ( Can I run away and hide now?)

Quoting bluemomma22:

my brother has cerbal pausy and i hate it when we are out and about and all people do is look at em and dont say hi or smile! i kinda know what your saying tho. an im sorry that people are treating and saying things like that. they dont understand and are not willing to understand. how old is he?

Lindsey624
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM

first i want to say your son looks so happy. don't ever let anyone tell you anything different. i grew up with a close family friend who is autistic and he is doing so well. yes, things are harder for him and yes, it's not always fun but he is always the most happy kid i've ever meet. if anything i think that while he will most likely depend on someone else for most of his life i believe that he will have a better life than most people.

greenie63
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Thank you momma! your son is a cutie too!

Quoting Mom2PunkRockers:

Your sons pic is SO cute, he has such a huge smile!

Quoting greenie63:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)