Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age do you take your kid to the dentist?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son is 19 months old and I jsut watched that journal post about the scary dentists, and was wondering when I should schedule Spencer his first appt?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM

i also was wondering.

anetrnlov
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I think the reccomendation is three...that is when I took Bryce.  Noah went sooner because he busted one of hiss front teeth.

vbongard

I have been told different denstist, but it seems to be between 2 and 4 depending on how comfortable the dentist is with small children.  The first appointment is always just getting to know you and introducing your child to what they do and what they use to do it with.  I take my kids with me when I go so that they can watch mommy getting it done and wont be so scared and surprised when it comes their turn.

MissiHampt

Most dr's and dentists recommend 2 years old, and then every 6 months after that.

please forgive me that my responses are slow and my punctuation is lousy.  i'm recovering from surgery and can only type with one finger....but i'm a true cafemom addict and just can't stay away!

nattybug

My dentist said that they only take children over the age of three. I asked the same thing about my two year olda nd he said unless there is complcations or pain, they don't see anyone under three years old

Married to my sweetheart 01.24.09

IRA871

I did when my son turned 3, it is a pediatric dentist office, and a nice one. They let him get introduced to the equipment, and made it pleasant, he was nervous, but did fine.  

Mommy_to_CTN

dentists say you should take them as soon as they get their first tooth, but with my oldest she was four.  My second was just turning one, but the reason I took her that young was because she had a stain on her tooth.  My youngest is 14 months and I don't plan on taking her for a while.

Tired of bashers and locked posts in your debates?  Join us in Civil Debates, a group where posts won't get locked; the basher will simply be removed!  Come discuss any topic at http://www.cafemom.com/group/civildebates

This is a young group and we need a lot more mommas to join to make it a great place to debate like adults

breastfeeding Noelle   playing soccer girl Caitlin  blowing bubblesTaylor   

jaxTheMom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I'd say within the next year or so.  You want him to get comfortable with the idea of a dentist and hygenist messing around with his teeth, and you want him to learn about proper dental hygiene.

Don't wait too long.  We have just spent several thousand (and mounting) for my man who is terrified of dentists, has to be sedated first, and has the onset of periodontal disease.  All because he was so afraid and never went.

We are literally in this right now; he has an appointment every few weeks and has to have an Ativan first.  Thankfully, we found a great doctor who works with us.

x_sabine_x

My son is 18 months old and we just took him for his first visit last week. He did great! All they did was brush his teeth a bit, have a look, and send us on our way! We'll go back in 6 months for another check up. Was no big deal at all!

-Ellen-

jjwatson28

3ys old

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)