Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cereal in babys milk? UPDATED.. WITH ANOTHER QUESTION

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM
  • 235 Replies

my ds is almost 6 weeks old. and his formula just isint satisfying him.. he wants to eat allll the time. So when can i start putting cereal in his formula? I've heard some start as early as 7 weeks and some say not to start until they are atleast 6 months. When is the earliest you started?

update:  okay say i feed him a 4 oz bottle.. well an hour later he wants another 2-3 ozs.   is that normal?

pregnancy week by week
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xnicioliolx
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Never. Give it to him with a spoon. Ask your pedi 

mommy1008
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I'll probably get bashed for this but i dont care. My dd has been on baby cereal since she was 2 weeks old because her formula wasn't filling her up. My litle brother was on cereal when they brought him home from the hospital with drs orders.

Alyvia Paige Hernandez <3

sweets3075
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM

six weeks is a lil premature for that. 3-4 months is a good time to start.

Mom2nas710
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM

i gave it to my daughter in her formula when she was little and she was just fine..

pregnancy week by week
andreaRC
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

my 2nd son started cereal in his bottle at about 2 weeks old, but that is because he had horrible reflux and the doctor told me to add it. he was on RX's for the reflux and still needed the cereal added in order to help. i would talk to his pediatrician about it first.

does he spit up a lot? that is a sign of reflux. my son did not spit up much at all, but was eating about 50 ounces a day!! keep track of how many ounces he is eating a day, make a feeding log. that way you will have it to show the dr just why you are concerned.

*edit*  realized i put 2 months and not 2 weeks!!

MissiHampt
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

You're only "supposed" to do it for babies that have reflux and can't keep formula down.  Giving cereal or other foods before 4 months adds to the risk of diabetes, among other things.  That said, I know PLENTY of people who did it and the babies turn out just fine.  But your baby does not need cereal in the formula, so I wouldn't rush into doing it.  My son needed it for reflux and didn't end up with any of the problems they warn against.

please forgive me that my responses are slow and my punctuation is lousy.  i'm recovering from surgery and can only type with one finger....but i'm a true cafemom addict and just can't stay away!

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

give him more a oz or so more dont put cereal in his milk

111807mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

i started putting cereal in my daughters milk when she was two weeks old you just have to watch  them and make sure the nipple isnt tooo  big

resamerie
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I started at about 10 weeks, (I BF before that) just mixing a little in her formula. And gradually increased the amount of cereal. Good luck mom!  

Mommy_to_CTN
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I agree that you're never supposed to but it in a bottle, but if she's going to do cereal, 6 weeks is way to young for a spoon.  His tongue thrust reflex wouldn't allow it.

Quoting xnicioliolx:

Never. Give it to him with a spoon. Ask your pedi 

Tired of bashers and locked posts in your debates?  Join us in Civil Debates, a group where posts won't get locked; the basher will simply be removed!  Come discuss any topic at http://www.cafemom.com/group/civildebates

This is a young group and we need a lot more mommas to join to make it a great place to debate like adults

breastfeeding Noelle   playing soccer girl Caitlin  blowing bubblesTaylor   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)