Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing Bedtime with the Time Change?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM
  • 4 Replies

Liam is 20 months and normally goes down between 7pm and 7:30pm and it has been almost dark out by then... well, with the time change it won't get dark until 8pm tonight and by June it's not totally dark until 11pm...

DH wants to move his bedtime back so we can do more fun stuff when nice weather hits in a month or two... walking the dogs, canoeing on the lake, playing in the river or just the yard... thing we like to do after DH is off work... sometimes we even camp nights after work and then head home while DH goes to work...

So anyway, is putting a toddlers bedtime back to closer to 8:30pm - 9:00pm alright? And would you let him stay up late tonight or do it like in 15 minute increments every night to eas him in?

i-love-my-irish-kids.gif
Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam Patrick and Molly Kate

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I'd say see how he does when you try and see him awake. My kids go to bed at 8pm every night.

ashley22ky
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Ha ha, I just posted the same thing almost. I put mine in bed according to the new time, they went to bed at 8 last night, and 8 tonight even though it was like "7". But I have a 3 year old and 1 year old, and both of them go at 8, I think it's fine. I'll probably put them in bed around 9 in a month or two so they can be awake while it's daylight out. I hate putting them in bed when it's daylight. But if I were you, I'd change his bedtime to 8 for a while, then move it up to 8:30, just do it in 30 minutes later to ease him into it, I think it's fine.

mimi_green_eyez
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I planned the time change this weekend, I had them get up an hour early yesterday by accidently cleaning really loudly :) OOOPPS! and kept them going alll day long out side all weekend, get em up an hour early again today and they are passed out at 8p.m. which is regular bed time.  Mine are both in school all day, so I didn't want any issues tommorow morning because Mon- Fri we are up at 6a.m.I see nothing wrong with keeping them up an hour later as you had asked as long as they get to sleep later if possible, to make sure they get sufficient sleep.  Hope it helps!

ReadyorNot
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Sure it's alright, as long as he handles it fine.  Summer is the best time to let them stay up a little later and enjoy the weather and extended family time.  My daughter is older, just turning 3, but she's been going to bed at about 8 to 8:30 for the longest time.  When she was in day care it was about 7 b/c she didnt take naps, but now that we're home its sometimes as late as 9 pm depending on the day.  I'd say take your cues from him.  If he seems to be fine with the stretched time, then just do it all on one night.  But if you notice at all that he's really struggling, put him to bed and then try to slowly ease him into the later bedtimes.  Maybe even knocking the nap time back a smidge would help it be easier for him to stay up later as well.  Good luck!!

preview image

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)