Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I teach my 18 month old not to throw things? PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM
  • 13 Replies

Help! He keeps throw things, sometime at our NB! Sometimes at our 3,000 TV! How do I teach him not to throw.

Are you a Proud Air Force Wife?! If so come join in our fun!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/lovemyairman

Chris, Katie, Trey and Baby Hailey!!! Waiting on my new Siggy!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jandyrodax
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM

You could try time out if you haven't already.

Be consistent with him and let him know that it's wrong to throw things and that throwing is only for outside during playtime like with a ball or something.

ilovetracilynn

i babysit a 18 month old  and i tell him no very sternly and lightly tap his hand and he stops    good luck

jessicer421

Bump...I don't know, but I have a 12 month old that does the same...I'll be watching!!

kimberlieparks
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I put Toys in Time Out! My son is 18 months too and it seems to be working. He hates it when we put his toys in Time out!

mrsfiles1206
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM

My mom always took what ever we threw away from us and we didn't get it back for a while.  IT worked for me, thankgo my daughter hasn't started this yet.  She hits instead.

nikitaboom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM

tricky... 18 months is still fairly young... you can try a stern voice ... or time outs. At 18 months if my son saw someone do something bad he would say, "NO NO NO" and shake his finger in their face.... if that doesnt work tell him that he cant have his toys or things because he throws...and everytime he throws something, take everything away.

Momof4Girls30
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM

you could take his toys away he's throwing, tell him no, put him in time-out, or distract him with a game/toy you do together

juggalette_mom

Sorry never had that problem with either kids... but I'll bump it for you. 

TreysMommy0717

I have been doing the timeout thing, but it is so hard to be consistent because he mostly does this stuff when I busy trying to get the baby to sleep or when im feeding her, times I can't just get up and put him in timeout! Help.....Ahhhhhh, he is being such a bad listener, and I'm having to tell him NO about the same things OVER AND OVER again! 80 times a day over the same things...............is this normal?!

Quoting jandyrodax:

You could try time out if you haven't already.

Be consistent with him and let him know that it's wrong to throw things and that throwing is only for outside during playtime like with a ball or something.

Are you a Proud Air Force Wife?! If so come join in our fun!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/lovemyairman

Chris, Katie, Trey and Baby Hailey!!! Waiting on my new Siggy!

kimberlieparks
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Yes this is normal esspecially since you have a NB baby! Like everyone else is saying take the toy away and better yet put it where you would put him for time out and don't let him have it. He wont like his toys being in Time out. Tell him if he throws his toys they go in time out. My son throws a big fit when I take it and when he is done throwing the fit I sit him down and tell him he can only have it back if he doesn't throw it. It's been working so far.

Also quit telling him "NO". Its a small word and easily ignored! Use a different word instead. I use Stop, Don't do that, quit, and I don't know a few other ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)