Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with a stray cat!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM
  • 26 Replies

I came home tonight and put my purse in the kitchen when my daughter said, "Mom, why is there a cat in the house?" I look over and sure enough there is a cat in the house. Which is odd, cause we don't have a cat. The only thing I can figure is that it came in when we came in. So apparantly the cat has adopted us. It has followed us all around the house, it seems to be healthy, only skinny. Now here is the proublem, I have a dog. The cat does not like the dog. What do I do? How do I get them used to each other? I have never owned a cat before so I have no clue what to do, besides feed it!!!!!!!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Take it to the vet make sure its healthy no fleas or anything like that and get it dewormed! and they will eventually get used to each other if not they will avoid each other thats what happened with my cat he hated my lab but loves my maltese!

SunnyJoJo
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM

If your gonna keep it try to get it to come out, put thedog in a bedroom so the cat is a little more secure. I hope that helps....You really wanna catch the cat and make sure it doesn't need any immediate medical attention, and isn't like nasty dirty. I'm not gonna lecture you on shots and junk cause you more then likely know that. Good for you for giving the cat a home. You thought of a name yet?

Nancita
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM

bump

TessyCat

Seriously as long as they aren't hurting each other let them work it out. They may never be best friends but they will learn to tolerate each other.

tzejstorey

First I would keep the cat away from the dog until you get it checked by a vet.  As far as them getting along, time.  They may never like each other or they could very well become the best of friends given time.  But either way I would definitely get it checked out by the vet!!

SunnyJoJo
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Oh and they will get used to eachother eventually. I've had both dogs not used to cats and cats not used to dogs and they eventually found their places with eachother. Maybe set up a little bed (could just be a towel on a higher spot the dog cant get to) for the cat so they have a spot to be alone. Oh and dogs love cat food so you might want to keep that up also.

mrsfiles1206
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM

If you want to keep the new member of your family put the cat in a confined room away from the dog for a while so she/he can get used to the smell of the dog and hearing the dog throught the door for about a week or two.  then gradually let them be around each other while supervised.  I have 7 dogs and 2 cats and the cats don't like the dogs but they tolerate them and let the dogs know when to go away.  Hopefully they can find some common ground to live on  =)

Congrats on the member

PinkHairedGirl
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Cats and dogs will eventually get used to each other. As long as the dog isn't going to kill the cat, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They will work it out!! And you should make sure to take the kitty to the vet to make sure it is healthy, and get it up to date with vaccines. Also get it fixed if it isn't already. Male cats will spray to mark their territory (trust me, you don't want that!!) and a female cat in heat is an awful sight! A fixed cat is a much happier healthier pet! Besides the fact that 2 cats and their offspring can be responsible for 420 cats in just 6 years!!!!

LeslieSS
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Ss far the cat looks just fine!! He comes right up to us, we've pet it, feed it, the works. It has already found its spot in the house.

And I will be taking it to the vet!! Thats a must, so I know that!!!

Yeah the kids decided right of the bat to call it Garfield!! I told them to think about it though, lol.

As far as the dog, I have a baby gate that I could put up in between my living room and the kitchen, do you think that will work?? That way when the cat wants to take the time to get to know the dog, he can? BTW Buddy(the dog) is outside right now.

PinkHairedGirl
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Also if the dog won't leave the cat alone, a tall cat tree is a good idea! We have 5 dogs and 3 cats, so we gave our kitties their own bedroom! It is separated with a baby gate that the dogs can't get over! Its nice for the kitties to have a space to relax where they won't be pestered by the dogs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)