Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE PRAY FOR THIS PASTORS FAMILY!!!!Updated with suspects identity

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM
  • 15 Replies

**UPDATE***the suspect is 27 yr old male Terry Sedlacek. his mother is defending him stating that he is mentally ill due to lyme disease. the police are filing charges as of monday march 9. and yes there were children present.

This happened this morning around 9 a.m. right near my hometown! You arent even safe in church nowadays. the gunman is my age so i might know him and they wont release his name as of yet. I cant believe that someone would do something like that..it just blows my mind...

MARYVILLE, IL (KTVI-FOX 2now.com) - A gunman walked down the aisle of a Metro East church during Sunday services and shot the pastor to death before stabbing himself and slashing two others as parishioners wrestled him to the ground, authorities said. The man walked in to the sprawling brick First Baptist Church in Maryville shortly after 8 a.m. and briefly spoke to the Rev. Fred Winters before pulling a .45 caliber handgun and shooting Winters once in the chest, said Illinois State Police Master Trooper Ralph Timmins.

Before the gunman could fire again, Timmins said, the pistol jammed. The man then pulled out a knife and wounded himself before churchgoers subdued him. Two parishioners involved in the struggle suffered knife wounds, Timmins said.

Timmins said officials don't know if Winters and the gunman knew each other and did not know the suspect's name.

"We don't know the relationship (between the gunman and pastor), why he's here or what the circumstances came about that caused him in the first place to be here," Timmins said.

Winters was taken to Anderson Hospital in Maryville, where he was pronounced dead on arrival, according to spokeswoman Natalie Head. Two others wounded at the church were airlifted to another hospital, Head said.

The gunman and one victim, 39-year-old Terry Bullard, were being treated at St. Louis University Hospital, said spokeswoman Laura Keller. Bullard underwent surgery for stab wounds and was in serious condition, she said.

Keller said the gunman was undergoing surgery early Sunday afternoon but could not provide his name, condition, or type of injuries.

The Rev. Mark Jones, another pastor at First Baptist, said he did not recognize the gunman, who Jones saw briefly before he pulled his weapon. Jones then went into an adjacent room and did not see the shooting, though he heard a sound like miniature fire crackers.

"We have no idea what this guy's motives were," Jones said outside the church. "We don't know if we'll ever know that."

Winters, a father of two who had led First Baptist for nearly 22 years, was the former president of the Illinois Baptist State Association and an adjunct professor for Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, according to the church's Web site.

"Our great God is not surprised by this, or anything," Nate Adams, executive director of the Illinois Baptist State Association, said in a statement. "That He allows evil and free will to have their way in tragedies like this is a mystery in many ways. But we know we can trust Him no matter what, and draw close to Him in any circumstances."

First Baptist parishioner Sharla Dryden, 62, pulled into the church parking lot for a 9:30 a.m. service to see "just a lot of chaos, lot of police, fire, and people just devastated."

"They just said there had been a shooting," Dryden said. "I would have been devastated if anyone had been shot, but to hear it was the pastor was terrible. You just never expect this to happen at a church."

Maryville is about 20 miles north east of St. Louis in Madison County, IL.

Congressman John Shimkus (R, Illinois-19) issued the following statement in regards to the shooting: "I personally know several members of First Baptist Church. And I have met with Pastor Winters several times over the years. I want to extend my personal condolences to Pastor Winters' family and the entire First Baptist family. This is a tragic event, and I continue to pray for all touched by this. I am reminded of scripture, from Romans Chapter 14, verses 7 and 8: 'For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself along. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.'"

A prayer service will be held tonight at 6:00pm, March 8, 2009, at Metro Community Chuch in Edwardsville,

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelsmommie806
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM

wow i cant believe no one is replying....

My4Kidds
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I posted this tonight and so did someone else...probably the reason for no replies...

JoeMama
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM

That's horrible!

praying 

angelsmommie806
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Quoting My4Kidds:

I posted this tonight and so did someone else...probably the reason for no replies...

i didnt realize that it was posted until after i posted lol...now im not so upset that i am a post killer. i just cant believe that it happened...you arent safe even in church anymore

mommykc
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM

I just dont understand why anyone would do that. I live in missouri. I was at church and storms came through then I came home until the warnings were over with which of course they were about 10 minutes after i got home. Then that is when my husband informed me about the incident in illinois at the church. Then i watched the news and I heard it there. I went back to church and i informed my pastor about the shooting that happened. At my church we had a business meeting today and the pastor had a prayer for what happened and a quiet moment for the pastor and the membors of the church and their loved ones. I will keep them in my thoughts.

duncank3
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Aww I read this on AOL this morning. It's sad but comforting to know that the Lord has his soul now.

workingmamma2
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Unfortunately God does not promise us to not go thru things such as this...but very sad for his family and church family.  I do agree it is sad that not even church is safe anymore.  

debbiebacker
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM

that is so sad...... i do'nt understand people shooting other peole.......

kristyann40
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Oh my, I sure do hope that no children had witnessed that.

sammyreymom
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Heard about this on our local news this morning, Madison, WI.  It is terrible!  And praying for his family.

blowing bubbles                                                              kissing
Mom to Samantha                                                        Wife/Friend to Craig

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)