Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In public when your child is.... (with example in edit)

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM
  • 46 Replies

Question: If your child pitches a fit in the store so they can leave do you leave?

Yes, why suffer the embarrassment

No, that's what they want

other because there's always one

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 165

View Results

The other post about disciplining your child in public got me thinking. A lot of moms remove the child from the store, as do I if the situation warrents it, but what if that is what the child wants? Do you still take them out and give them their way or do you suffer it out and make them do what you want them to in that situation?

All I ask is that we don't bash other moms for their choices but please share. Thanks

Example: My 6 year old wasn't sick, tired, hungry, etc. and I had to go to the store. She got mad about something on the way there and decided that she didn't want to go and I couldn't make her. She pouted all the way into the store and then started pitching the biggest fit I've seen her throw since she was about 2. I was blown away by it but managed to calmly inform her that she was only embarrassing herself (a bald face lie, I was mortified) and keep shopping after I stuck her in the cart, which she hates.

Usually if they are tired, hungry, sick, etc, if at all possible I will take them out of the store but in this case that's what she was after. I was just wondering how you all handle that situation. (34)

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM

It depends on the situation. Does she want to leave because she's bored and I have to get something done? If so - no. Does she want to leave because she's tired/hungry? If so then once she calms down we'll either get food or go home to nap. 

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM

When mine were young I would leave....I sure as hell don't want to hear kids screaming and crying when I'm shopping. Drives me nuts.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM

well mine are older and know full well the situation will be more embaressing to them then it would be to me so they don't act up to often in public....

but I tend not to give in to what they want when they pitch a fit about it...

american flag ribbon 
Kisser of Boo-Boos, Maker of Cupcakes, Planner of Parties, Chauffer of Child Stars, Giver of Hugs, Defender of Sweet Dreams and the completely exhausted Mommy of Asia and Roman

Tummy Trouble???

listening to tunes           baseball
Asia Briana             Roman Anthony
8-1-97                        6-27-01

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I have put my daughter in time out for having a fit in the store. 

I can normally bribe her with a trip to see the toys if she is good.

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Other. My children know better than to pitch a fit because they WANT to leave. They do know that if they pitch a fit for ANY reason in public, they'll be staying home a long, long time. But, yes, when they were younger, ANY fit was enough to warrant leaving, and spankings when we got home, as well. They like to leave the house with me, they're not about to screw it up with a tantrum.

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM

if she's acting up just because she wants to leave, i just keep shopping and say 'the only person you're embarassing is yourself'. if it's for other reasons we leave and i will go back alone when DH gets home.

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:18 AM

My kids are both older (18 yrs. old adn 12 yrs. old) but when they were younger, I would tell them what I expected from them in the store and if they behaved, they got what ever reward we both decided on before we even walked out the house. The rewards would range anywhere from McDonald's for lunch (after the store) to a favorite toy that they have been wanting or a video from the rental store or the library (if the lib. had what they wanted) and their favorite snack for the movie or their favorite food for dinner that night. That worked for the most part unless they were sick then i would buy their favorite snack foods and some small toy so they wouldn't be so bored laying on the sofa for the day. I remember my oldest son was really sick and he stayed home from school, he was in the 3rd grade, and he was playing in the living room with some of his toys and he got up and went to his room and when dh hadn't seen him for a few hours, he went to check on him to give him some medicine and he was sleeping in his bed. Hubby went to the store nad bought some snacks that he would be able to eat and keep down and some of his favorite juice and a toy or 2. we do the same thing with the youngest one. One of my friends and I went to he store by her house nad when her 4 year old head butted her in her mouth and knocke dout one of her front teeth, she smacked him on his ass and told him that was a very bad theing to do and he hurt her. The lady behind her told her that was was an unfit mother and she should have her kid taken away because she beats him. She just turned around to face her and told her to mind her own damned bussiness and got close enough to this lady to have some blood from her mouth drip on her white shirt. As long as the child(ren) aren't being mistreated (which I know no one here does) or beatened, do what ever works for you. I know this probably doesn't answer the question and I got completely off topic.

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I voted other because if they are throwing a down right fit, I remove them from the store, spank their ass, wait til they can act their age, then I go back in.  No way am I gonna let my kids rule

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:21 AM

As a mom, I NOW understand when other people's children are acting up, say a little thanks if it's not mine and go about my business.  I don't have a lot of time and if he's being a little butt, then I put him in the cart, do what I gotta do and then be on my way.  I put stuff on the bottom of the cart if I have to.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I don't take all 3 of the kids to the store for fun.. so if the oldest starts throwing a fit because he wants to leave... too bad.. I am there because I NEED to be not usually because I WANT to be... kwim?

So if we are there and hes throwing a fit.. thats what he does.. he can throw all the fit he wants and I continue doing what I need to do and we leave.   People stare and probablly say stuff.. but everyone has bad days and that includes kids... so they can kiss it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)