Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are they serious? GROSS!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

I read this article below and the one thing stuck in my mind is "who would eat Sushi at a movie???"  I have seen the disgusting floors and movies places machines.  I would not want to eat sushi in a place like a movie theater..>Here is the article.

"One ticket for Benjamin Button, please, with the combination sushi and a dry martini."

Going to the movies is becoming a whole new experience. Theaters seeking to retain adult audiences and to raise profits are offering gourmet food and mixed drinks -- delivered to your recliner seat -- in luxurious surroundings that would make a Hollywood mogul envious.

The exhibition industry wants to make a night at the movies a special occasion once again. For many people the multiplex has become a pain -- long lines, teenagers playing video games, people texting during the show and $10 tubs of stale popcorn. On-demand video, better Web-based streaming and sophisticated home theater systems mean that more people are staying home to watch first-run films on their HD flat screen TVs.

Indeed, last year's movie ticket sales of $1.4 billion were down by 12.5 percent from the all-time high of 1.6 billion in 2002.

Movie exhibitors, an agile group when their livelihood is at stake, are once again responding to changing entertainment habits. When television first appeared on a mass scale in the 1950s, many predicted a serious slump in movie attendance. In the '70s, cable was feared. Of late, it's DVDs and the Internet. Contrary to predictions that cinemas would go the way of the telegraph, they've adapted and survived.

Gold Class Cinemas

Gold Class cinemas in Redmond, Wash. (pictured) offers movie-goers intimate viewing rooms with reclining armchairs, fine wine and gourmet food.

It's estimated that 300 multiplexes in the U.S. now offer high-end amenities. The latest to enter the market is Village Roadshow, Ltd., an Australian-based entertainment company, which has opened two Gold Class cinemas in the U.S.

In South Barrington northwest of Chicago, and in Redmond, Wash., Gold Class offers moviegoers suede-covered reclining armchairs in theaters with no more than 40 seats, fine wine, gourmet food -- and, with the press of a button, an attendant who provides a blanket.

Village Roadshow will spend $200 million to build 50 theaters nationwide over the next five years, with theaters scheduled to open this fall in Bollinbroke, Ill. another Chicago suburb and in Pasadena, Calif.

I Don't Skinny Dip.......I Chunky Dunk.            

brave.jpg picture by DariaW516

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
evansmommy0828
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM
It doesn't look like those places are regular movie theaters. I don't think they serve the sushi on the floor, so I think you will be safe.

(Also, I work in a theater, and the only reason the floors are gross is because people feel the need to throw things on the floor, spill, etc all over them. )
nazratred
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I know..that is why it grosses me out.  And I am sorry, but people will still do that in these theaters, I'm sure.  To me a movie theater does not sound like a great place to eat raw fish.  Hell bring on the martini's..save the fish for a fish market or japanese restaurant.

Quoting evansmommy0828:

It doesn't look like those places are regular movie theaters. I don't think they serve the sushi on the floor, so I think you will be safe.

(Also, I work in a theater, and the only reason the floors are gross is because people feel the need to throw things on the floor, spill, etc all over them. )

Hannele
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Nothing that smells should be eaten in a place where there are other people around and where you either can't easily get out of (plane, subway, bus, train....) or when you've paid to get in (movie theater etc). It's only polite.

Sushi (which actually consists of mostly rice) doesn't smell. Popcorn has more of a scent than sushi! So unless you (<-- not you personally, but generally speaking) are a total dimwit with chopsticks and drop everything on the floor, by all means have your sushi in a movie theater (and use a fork if chopsticks are difficult to use). :-)

darkeyedmom
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Sounds good, that would be a good reason to go to the movies:) Great idea!

Meissilly
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM

i dont eat sushi , but I agree . we dontgetout much  cuz   the kids . But  it would be great if we could get  dinner and movie  done all at once .

Quoting darkeyedmom:

Sounds good, that would be a good reason to go to the movies:) Great idea!

Meissilly
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Why would you eat  sushi on the  floor at any  time 

Mommymo08
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

there is a new trend of fusing high class restaurants with movie theaters....since they are expensive, they are much cleaner.  The actual theaters are much fancier.  But I think sushi is gross in general.  I have only been to a theater that  has a full bar, and dinner service of things like burgers, sandwiches, appetizers etc.  And not since we had DD.

nazratred
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM

um I wouldn't..not sure where you got that idea.

Quoting Meissilly:

Why would you eat  sushi on the  floor at any  time 

SotilSol
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Here in Austin (and maybe more places in TX), we have The Alamo Drafthouse, which is a movie theater + restaurant.  I don't think they serve sushi, but they serve lots of other things!  They're not as ritzy as this sushi theater looks, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)