Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Little girls and boys showing eachother their private parts?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM
  • 23 Replies

My dd is only 15 months old, so I don't know.  Is it normal?

I looked out my front door window because I was waiting on a friend to get here to pick up a dress.  The neighbors kids were all standing on the side of our porch with all their pants down around their ankles showing eachother and pointing and touching (themselves).  Of course it didn't really seem sexual, at least not what I saw.  BUT the little girl JUST turned 3, the two boys I think are like 5 and 7, or maybe just 4 and 6, i don't know. 

So I went to go tell the neighbor (the dad, he was the only adult home) what I saw because the boys peed in the little girls' room last month and it really upset them, so i figured they'd want to know about this, too.  Their 6 year old little girl answered the door and said the dad was asleep.  What the hell?  Am I being too paranoid or does everyone let their toddlers and very young kids run around all over the neighborhood while they sleep?  Oh well.

Just to clarify, the girls belong to one family, the boys belong to another.  Both families are our neighbors to the left and two doors down on the left.

Is all of this normal?

OH and dh just told me that he's been noticing that the little girl who just turned 3 has been sitting in the front seat of her mom's minivan without a car seat or booster seat or anything, in the front seat! 

emmasiggy
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 23, 2009 at 7:57 PM

It's perfectly normal but should be corrected I would let the parents know!

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I'd say its normal curiosity but as the PP said should be corrected. Let their parents know.

"How many times must the cannonballs fly before they are forever banned? How many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry? And how many deaths will take till he knows that too many people have died? How man years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free? How many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesnt see? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind."-Bob Dylan

armyvetmommy
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

i know, but the parent who was supposed to be watching all of them was asleep while all the kids were running around the neighborhood.  kinda scary!

Quoting Dzyre1115:

emmasiggy
dgmazy
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:20 PM

curiosity is normal, but the age difference is a little questionable.  At 6 or 7, the little boy should have some understanding of "private" parts.  It's probably worth a discussion and keeping an eye out for any other behaviors that seem suspicious.

armyvetmommy
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:38 PM

oh i forgot to mention, not too long ago the boys were caught showing their pottys and peeing in the corner of the girls room in their house.  i thought that was kind of odd, they seem way too old to be peeing in the corner of a room inside.

Quoting dgmazy:

curiosity is normal, but the age difference is a little questionable.  At 6 or 7, the little boy should have some understanding of "private" parts.  It's probably worth a discussion and keeping an eye out for any other behaviors that seem suspicious.

emmasiggy
mommy2alissa
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM

it was NOT ok for the father to be asleep, and the 6 or 7 y/o should know better, and they should both know better than to pee in the floor! something is off there.  

Tiffatoe
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Agree, it is normal, but needs to be addressed and all questions the kids have answered by their parents...wouldn't be bad to have the good touch, bad touch talk either :)

Quoting Dzyre1115:

dgmazy
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM

To be honest, I probably wouldn't let my kiddos spend alot of time with those kiddos without heavy supervision.  And.. I have no problem telling another kid, "It's really important to keep your private parts to yourself."  I guess it's just from working in daycare, teaching, social services for so many years...
Boys at that age - up to about 9ish have kind of a fascination with their little pee pees, so talking about them or grabbing them or whatever is in the "range of normal."  It really just depends on how far it goes, and I would really have concerns about a 3 year old seeing a 7 year olds private parts.  Peeing in strange places is kind of weird, but for whatever reason - when my nephew was about 5 he was taking a bath with his little brother and just stood up and peed on him.  (He got in super big trouble for that!) Kids do weird things sometimes, but when they seem to be happening frequently or the behavior seems way out of the norm - it's definitely cause for concern. 
And.. about the no carseat thing.  I'd probably catch her taking off one day, call the police, and give her plate number.  I have a REAL problem with people not using carseats!!
Wow, this turned into a long reply.. sorry!

Quoting armyvetmommy:

oh i forgot to mention, not too long ago the boys were caught showing their pottys and peeing in the corner of the girls room in their house.  i thought that was kind of odd, they seem way too old to be peeing in the corner of a room inside.

Quoting dgmazy:

dgmazy
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 9:34 PM

excellent suggestion!

Quoting Tiffatoe:

Agree, it is normal, but needs to be addressed and all questions the kids have answered by their parents...wouldn't be bad to have the good touch, bad touch talk either :)

Quoting Dzyre1115:

crazyangel_52
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM

i think it's normal.i would have told the little girl to wake up the dad.i would be pissed if they were doing that with my kids.something doesn't seem right with the family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN