Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

rent-a-center or Aarons rental question

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM
  • 24 Replies

I need new furniture badly. My house still looks like a college kid lives in it.  So I was wondering if any one has done the rent to own from Aarons or a rent a center? Do you know what you paid for a new room set? Living room, bedroom and kitchen all need done soon in my house. 

by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oveiliasmom
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

i bought a bed from rent a center and ended up paying like three times the worth cause i couldnt pay it off in 3 months 

I am a first time, if I need your advice I'll ask, drama hating, swearing,disposable diapering, with the dad but aint married (yet), will never spank, vaccinating, bottle feeding, tummy time, CIO on occasion, crazy, OCD (obsessive Cullen Disorder), loud mother to a beautiful little girl named Oveilia Ann.

frankiesma530
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

i wouldn't do Aarons, bad experience with them.  Rent to own is different with every store u go to, at least out here in Indiana.  I'd google and see what pops up, otherwise, I'm sure another mom can help!

joshlor2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

DON"T DO IT.....htye WAY over charge i needed a new fridge and got a basic one from them at 10 maybe 15 bucks a week needless to say after it was all said and done i ended up paying something like 1500 bucks for a fridge i could have gotten at sears for 700-800 just save up money and buy piece by piece

proudmama1207
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Go with Aarons! RAC seems cheap but they charge weekly not monthly. We bought a recliner for only like 250-300 dollars on payments and a fridge for 400 on payments. They have good prices and great quality and selection of furniture/appliances.

frankiesma530
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Yes, they're severely overpriced when u do monthly  payments!!  Do the math also on what it would take to pay it off over time and the penalties when u may miss, alot of ppl get screwed that way.

Quoting oveiliasmom:

i bought a bed from rent a center and ended up paying like three times the worth cause i couldnt pay it off in 3 months 

Jademom07
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Why not just start saving some money and pay it in full instead of renting to own it and paying more in interest?  If you go that route, you could easily afford something from an actual furniture store by the time you pay it off. 

jcsg
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

If you absolutely have to have all the stuff you mentioned now, then go with Aarons.  I've used both and Aarons gave us the best deal.  You can also pay off sooner with less out of pocket then RAC.   But, I would suggest saving your money and buying piece by piece.  Much cheaper and you can get really good deals on floor models at the regular stores.

Quoting proudmama1207:

Go with Aarons! RAC seems cheap but they charge weekly not monthly. We bought a recliner for only like 250-300 dollars on payments and a fridge for 400 on payments. They have good prices and great quality and selection of furniture/appliances.

hapybren
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Don't do rent to own, even if you have to start out with 2nd hand items. My Mom paid almost 4 times (regrigerator)what she would have paid thru rent to own other than just financing. Be smart, the economy is going to h*ll. Think about it!!

swtangelklly25
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I go through rent a center, and I noticed one mom on here said that rent a center does not do monthly payments, actually yes they do! I get a check once a month and pay on my daughters' bunk beds monthly, I also have a sectional w/ the sleeper in it and 2 recliners and we pay on that bi-weekly (my SO actually pays on it)  Aaron's I'm not so sure about, I've never personally rented from them, but a friend of mine was paying on a tv from them and she started getting lines through the screen, so she called and told them and they told her they couldn't do anything, and she had to keep paying it off and wouldn't let her give it back.  Sometimes, Rent a Center has items that were already previously rented, and they will knock off some of the payments for you, all you gotta do is ask or they might have an advertisement in the store.

tab9344
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I personally would try to save the money up, and go pay cash for the furniture, I know I have had to buy furniture several different times, and this last time we set on the living room floor for months, while I was saving to get a new sofa. Just were I could avoid the interest, & wkly,monthly payments, what we have now is ours, we don't owe anyone for it.

Also, I know were I am their are several $399.00 sofa places, & a sticks n stuff, their furniture isn't that costly, & they do have layaway.

toddler boysimple smile

angel mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)