Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Putting bills in child's name??

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM
  • 66 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you put a bill in your child's name even if that child was under the age of 18?

Options:

Yes (please explain)

No (please explain)

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 294

View Results

Okay so I love watching court TV shows (i.e. Judge Mathis, People's Court, etc.) and I have always seen cases where the parents have put bills into their child's name even before the child was 18.  That just irritates me and I believe that it is completely wrong.  The parents are already destroying their child's chance at a better future then they had.  I have seen time and time again that when the parents do something like that the child's credit ends up ruined so they cannot get a car or get financial aid for school or even an apartment because of their credit being ruined.  So I would like to know what you momma's think and what your feelings on this would be.  Would you put a bill in your child's name? Why would you??

by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandie110782
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

oh my...NO I wouldn't do that...besides these day's I'm not sure how someone could...everything requires ID...but I would never do that...my kids father has a crazy electric bill from his mother, and cable too....lol

Lovelee-Mama
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I wouldnt but I know a lot of parents who let their kids put their names on cell phone bills to help them learn the responsibilities of having bills.

CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Absolutely NOT!

:)

toddler boy

MOM22QTS
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM

absolutely not.

laidbackmommy
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM

My sister had this happen to her.  It wasn't our parents (they're smarter than that) but she did have identity stolen as a 2 year old.  We found out much later (she's 25 now, so it was before identity theft was really known about) and it was a bitch for her to try and get a credit card, or a loan or anything.  It took a lot of fighting, but it finally got straightened out.. I could never imagine doing that willingly to your child!

babies

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
krista778
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM

No, I think if you have such horrid credit that you can't get the bill in your name then you shouldn't be allowed to have money until you learn how to handle it properly. And definitely not be allowed to mess up your child's credit.

sweetnsassymami
by Diabla on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I would never do that. That is just wrong and trashy.

Samanthamommy
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM
Why would anyone ever do that?!?
2brats1chkymnky

GHETTO!! LOL!!

AzaleaCheerMom

I wouldn't because my kids need to earn their own credit. But on the other hand if any parent does it, they should make sure to pay those bills ...it's hard enough starting out with no credit vs bad credit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)