Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ok how do I handle this one please?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2007 at 1:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

Do not know how to handle this one
My daughter is not trying to be raciest

my daughter who is 4 was playing with her dolls and she was talking in different voices for each doll, so funny the things she was saying

but that's not the point

she suddenly started to talk in a strange accent at first I could not work out what she was saying
but then she said talk English and then in a strange voices she said something else

then I worked it out she was talking in a Indian accent There is a lot of Indian children in her class

Well at first she only used the voice when playing with her dolls but this afternoon she started to talk to me with it
the whole nodding head and some words too

How do I tell not to do this with out making her feel like she is doing something wrong She is only talking like the other children she likes talks
she is very good friends with  all the Indian children and helps then to find things
by on Apr. 1, 2007 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ToniTennille
by Member on Apr. 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM
Well, that is a hard one but with my kids I talk to them and ask them why they do what they are doing. Then I explain how it might make someone feel if that person was to hear her talk like that or do that etc. Then I ask them how they would feel if they were in that postition. Instead of just saying don't do that, explain why. They'll grasp eventually. Hope I helped.
IsoAnAtisMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2007 at 1:23 PM
My son does the same thing & sometimes in public! It's so embarrassing! The baby sitter he used to go to was Chinese and taught him to speak Chinese up until he was almost 3, and now he has forgotten the language but still thinks he can speak it and mocks Chinese people sometimes, I HATE WHEN HE DOES IT! I just tell him that he wouldn't like if people made fun of they way he talks, so he shouldn't make fun of they way they do. I have also explained to him that some people speak different languages, so thats why they talk the way they do.
Adnil
by on Apr. 1, 2007 at 2:15 PM
I don't think they are trying to make fun of anybody...they are just trying to understand the accents..and role play..It's not about trying to hurt people's feelings or intentionally being mean...It's all apart of understanding different languages...maybe she just wants to a part a learn about different cultures and learning about their language...Its not making fun, its about having fun learning about different people and different cultures.  Instead of getting upset and angry..find a way to educate in a way they can understand.  Open their eyes and let them see and hear and taste different foods..When children are young, especially, they love learning new things...so, this will be a great time to educate and show and understand. :)

Linda
Maizy215
by on Apr. 1, 2007 at 2:20 PM
Relax mom...lol...your child is simply immitating what she sees and is learning about different cultures.  She will "grow out" of it.  But talking with your daughter about the Indian culture could be a big help for both of you and maybe explain that it isn't always "nice" to mimic the way someone talks.  Be gentle with this one....your child may pick up a bad perception of other races and cultures and I'm sure that's not your intention.  
Take care.
Cheri
madhouseof5
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Just want to say something here LOL the Indians Are from Pakistan
We live in a very multi cultural community here in England
People come from all around the word Africa, India, China and most of middle Europe to

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)