Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Normal or not *edited in red*

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM
  • 35 Replies

Okay so here is a weird question. My mom and I have noticed something "weird" about Levi. My mom says she has never seen a baby do this before and when Levi goes for his 4 month check-up that i should ask the doctor about it. Since the day Levi was born he has drooled a LOT, i mean enough to were he goes through a bib and clothes every couple of hour and his tonue is constantly sticking out, okay maybe not constantly but his tongue hangs out of his mouth more than it is in his mouth. Other people have noticed it to. Is this normal?

Before anyone says he is teething. The doctor thought so to, but teething since he was a newborn and for 4 months without even a tooth or anything poking out?

*EDT* something i just thought of when i was replying to a comment. It takes him like 1 -1 1/2 hours to eat 6-8 ounces of formula and the whole time he fusses like he is getting frustrated. Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Here are some pics to show you what i mean.

I had just changed him maybe 15-20 minutes before this pic.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tab9344
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM

IDK about the tongue, but my son drooled like that forever & even now I will look at him & he will have a big drool coming out of his mouth, (hes 2yr)

But ask your doc just to what they think & to make you feel better,

Also get the bibs with the plastic on the back it will help with his cloths

toddler boysimple smile

angel mini

KreatingMe
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I really don't know momma. I would mention it to the dr again, it couldn't hurt.   

babybratnc
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM

my mom said the same thing about the bibs...I am going to get some friday when i have the money. I feel like the doc is going to think im crazy...that is why i wanted other moms opinions...lol

Quoting tab9344:

IDK about the tongue, but my son drooled like that forever & even now I will look at him & he will have a big drool coming out of his mouth, (hes 2yr)

babybratnc
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM

bump

mom2ljh
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I would be somewhat worried about the tongue thrust, but not so much the drooling.  Some children do teeth from a VERY early age, and teeth for months and months before getting a tooth.  My son started teething around 3-4 months and got his first tooth at 10 months. 
Take those pictures, and any others you have, of his tongue thrust with you to your next appt and ask about it.  My mom's cousin had a son who did that and he did eventually outgrow it, and there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with him.  It IS worth asking about though.  The pictures will REALLY help though, so the doctor can get an idea of how you're not exaggerating when you say he's ALWAYS like that.

ebbierowe
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM

does his toungue seem thicker then it should be? 

Bryan's High School Sweetheart in love (for 15 years)

Mommy to Asiateen girl and Roman american football

And 
Tummy Trouble??? http://www.cafemom.com/group/85015

Snowbug925
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

I dont know sweety...but here's a bump for ya!

jennrn79
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Quoting babybratnc:

my mom said the same thing about the bibs...I am going to get some friday when i have the money. I feel like the doc is going to think im crazy...that is why i wanted other moms opinions...lol

Quoting tab9344:

Take it from a nurse hun, don't worry about your doc thinking your crazy....Answering you questions are what doctors and nurses do. If people didnt have questions then everyone would be healthy and we'd be out of jobs lol

Anyway, my daughter drooled like that, she's 13 now and no problems but she did take FOREVER to break her first tooth. If your not sure and don't want to ask the doc call your doc's office and ask to talk to the nurse. Good Luck

tab9344
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:37 AM

The doctors not going to think that you are crazy, :)

They want you to ask questions, they see our kids for like 10 mins, they don't know how they really are, that's why I ask so many questions & yes sometimes I have got a funny look but I get a answer.

Quoting babybratnc:

Quoting tab9344:

Mina2904
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM

My DD just started actually getting teeth in her mouth but drooled for a good long period of time before that. She started drooling a lot when she was 2 months old. I brought it up to her pediatrician and they told me that she was just teething. It sounded a little strange to me but her doc assured me that babies can start teething as early as 2 months of age. Sure as anything, my 5 month old has two nubs that recently broke through and is now the proud owner of her first two teeth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)