Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it just me????

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM
  • 24 Replies

this afternoon i was leaving my subdivision right as school was letting out. there is a school in our neighborhood. i saw soooo many kids that had to be no older than 6 (mostly 5) walking home. that is too young. imo. are these young children going home to a house all alone? i am not judging just worried about safety. if they are not going home alone then why is the person at home not coming to get the?  from all points in the neighborhood the school is at the most 5 minutes away. they could walk or drive to get the kids. is it laziness or a lack of understanding? do any of you do this or no someone who does? if so why? just wondering what is up with that. i don't know that my kiddos will ever walk home from school and they will have to be atleast 11 or 12 before they can stay at home alone for even 15 minutes.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candie241983
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:28 AM

We live maybe 4 blocks from school, but mine do not walk home. I drive them and pick them up everyday.  

Created by MyFitnessPal - Easy Calorie Counting

LuvmySFSGT
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:30 AM

I was behind a school bus the other day and saw the same thing. Very disturbing. This bus was dropping kids off on the MAIN ROAD that goes into the apartments and subdivisions...and nope...there were no parents there waiting for them.

I was disgusted.

1sttimer09
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I see this all the time in my neighborhood! It's scary to think about a child that young walking all by themselves! Especially in times like these!!

its a girl-Kristal :)

Mommy2Nikolas
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I see that a lot around my house too, it makes me sad... I either rode the bus or my mom took me/picked me up every day until I was 13, and even then I only walked home occasionally with my friends. I always loved that time when I would be able to talk to my mom about my day, and hear how my little brother's day was... It was just a good family bonding time. I understand that a lot of families have parents that both work full time, so I guess that's why a lot of little ones are alone...

toddler boy

Sarah and Tristan          Nikolas James

6/30/07                        12/22/07

VanillaStar11
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM

That is really scarry. I would worry sick.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Quoting Mommy2Nikolas:

I see that a lot around my house too, it makes me sad... I either rode the bus or my mom took me/picked me up every day until I was 13, and even then I only walked home occasionally with my friends. I always loved that time when I would be able to talk to my mom about my day, and hear how my little brother's day was... It was just a good family bonding time. I understand that a lot of families have parents that both work full time, so I guess that's why a lot of little ones are alone...

Who is leaving a 5 or 6 year old home alone? I am sorry but there is no excuse for that.

lvnmylif
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Many of the children from my son's bus walk themselves home.  My son is 7 years old and I am just not comfortable with that yet.  I wasn't going to let him ride the bus but he begged me from the first day of school last year so I figured why not.  I guess everyone is different with what they are comfortable with.

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM

My kids aren't in school yet, but no they wont be walking themselves. My sister drops hers off and picks them up every day, even though she lives in a small, relatively safe, town.

nemiller
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

i wasn't allowed to walk to or from school/bus stops until middle school.  i don't think i could just let my son go off by himself at that age.  on top of my other concerns, the main one is how little they still are at that age.  people just don't pay enough attention when they're driving.

momma2mms
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Quoting Mommy2Nikolas:

im sure that there is SOMEONE who could pick them up and sit with them until the family gets home. i am more concerned with the ones who i know that their parents are home and they're just not coming to get them. that makes me mad. but every person parents different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)