Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey, cat lovers!! I have a kitty question!!!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM
  • 5 Replies

So, my sister and her husband are splitting up this week...........

They have no where to take their two year old, fixed male kitty, and asked if I would take him. My kids and I  are  over the top excitied to have a kitty again!! 

But here's the problem.  He's an indoor/outdoor cat.  He is usually let outside during the day, while they were at work, and he would come in at night.   

So, I have a couple concerns...........   #1.  I'm afraid if we let him go outside, I'm afraid he won't recognize where he is, and he will get lost.   #2.  If he is so used to being outside all day, will he get restless and bored inside and start tearing things up and spraying all over??    #3.  My kids are younger than my sister's kids, and I'm afraid he might get overwhelmed by the new found attention he is going to get.

Does anyone have any advice on how to ease the kitty into our home?? 

Thanks!!!

Blinkie MakerBlinkie Maker
Blinkie MakerBlinkie Maker

soccer-3.gifl_fb2303c6f2d4aacba866db4761f405e1.gif picture by llmom1921

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dragonflykiss44
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:59 AM

i dont know. ive never had an indoor/outdoor kitty that i took in myself.

heres a bump for you though

krista778
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Keep him inside for a day or two until he gets used to his environment then let him out for a few hours and slowly increase the time outside until he is very comfortable with your house. That's how we did it every time we moved and it seemed to work

Michelle078
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:06 AM

When we moved we let our indoor/outdoor cat go outside only with parental supervision in the daytime first....then gradually got to the point that he comes or goes.

Spraying - he shouldn't if he's fixed....our boys (2) have never sprayed once since being fixed. Of course, they were both fixed before they ever spayed.

If he is timid for the first few days, remember to tell the kids that he's nervous and needs to know that he's in a safe place, so no bugging kitty constantly to come out....maybe start him off in one room for the first few days, at night?

I don't think he'd start tearing things up/become bored. He's got new scents and hideaways to discover, he'll be pretty into that for a while.

Have fun with your new little guy!!

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first one being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. - Erma Bombeck -

momofthree929
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM

My cat used to be an indoor/outdoor cat until we found out he has FIV. The dr. said we have to keep him inside because if he gets exposed to a sick cat his immune system might not fight off the sickness and he could die plus we don't want to infect other cats. He had a hard time at first but has adjusted well. He still tries to get out sometimes but not very often. Usually about once a month. Good luck.

shanriel
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Quoting Michelle078:

When we moved we let our indoor/outdoor cat go outside only with parental supervision in the daytime first....then gradually got to the point that he comes or goes.

Spraying - he shouldn't if he's fixed....our boys (2) have never sprayed once since being fixed. Of course, they were both fixed before they ever spayed.

If he is timid for the first few days, remember to tell the kids that he's nervous and needs to know that he's in a safe place, so no bugging kitty constantly to come out....maybe start him off in one room for the first few days, at night?

I don't think he'd start tearing things up/become bored. He's got new scents and hideaways to discover, he'll be pretty into that for a while.

Have fun with your new little guy!!

My DH is a cat lover and he agrees with this answer 100 %

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)