Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Stomach Upset

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son has an ear infection, and the doctor mentioned, possible starts of pink eye.  She put him on amoxicillin, even though I told her it tears his stomach up and makes him a vomit monster.
He's only had 3 doses and all ready he has diarrhea and has started vomiting.  We give him probiotics to help replace the beneficial bacteria that are being wiped out by the abx, but its not helping at all.
His doctor was unwilling the last time hew as on it and it tore his stomach up to change it. 
I know all about bland diets consisting of easy to digest foods, giving the med with food and all that.  His diet is very limited b/c of his allergies, which is why he's taking a probiotic supplement, and not eating yogurt or drinking acidophilus milk.
Is there anything else I can be doing to help his stomach, or is this just something we have to deal with for 9 more days?  I just don't understand why clearing an ear infection has to be torture.  :(
(I know breastmilk in his ear would clear it up.  That's not an option though.  I just wanted to put that out there, b/c its exactly what I'd do, were it an option.)

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom2ljh
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:11 AM

bump

lujenem3
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:29 AM

From reading your journal post from 04/04/09, it sounds like the amoxicillin has made the reflux/vomiting worse that it was then. Is there a reason, other than the stubborn doctor, that he can't have a different antibiotic? There are some anti nausea medications, but I don't know which ones are safe for LO or if it would have much effect on him. I would sure call the doctor's office and see what they recommend or are willing to prescribe for you.

lujenem3

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Children's Health Issues

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

< The Cafe Group Admin Team

mom2ljh
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)