• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

beat the recession! (easy ways to save)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

Easy Ways To Save...

Tip #1: Buy Bonus Packs
When buying household items, look for items that are larger than the normal package or items that come with extras. For example, buy bottles of shampoo that contain 25% more shampoo for the same price as the regular bottles. Another example is to look for packages that come with two bottles of body wash.

Tip #2: Use Coupons
Coupons not only save you money on groceries, but coupons save you money on household items as well. The next time you go to the store, look through your coupons for household products. About once a month, Proctor & Gamble sends out a book of coupons that has coupons for shampoo, dish washing liquid, laundry detergent, and other household items.

Tip #3: Shop at Dollar Stores

Dollar stores always have wonderful deals on household items. At the Dollar Tree you will find products like Palmolive dish detergent, Reynolds's Wrap Aluminum Foil, and brand name dog treats for only a $1. At the Dollar General you will save money on everything from towels to drinking glasses.

Tip #4: Visit Company Websites
Company websites almost always have ways for you to save money on their products. Usually, you will need to register, but after you do so you will receive items like coupons, free samples, and even discounts.

Tip #5: Look for New Products
Companies want the public to try their new products, so when they release these new products they are usually on sale at your local store. Buying these items on sale and using a coupon will help you save even more money on these household items.

Tip #6: Buy Generic Brands
There are several generic brands that are just as good as their brand name counterparts. Usually these items will contain the same ingredients. This is especially true when it comes to medications. If you want to save money on household items, don't be afraid to try generic brands.

Tip #7: Look for Closeout Prices
Stores sometimes decide to no longer carry a product and will mark down the price to get rid of their stock. This ensures that they can quickly make room for a different product. These prices are usually; at least, half off the original price. Check your store for closeout prices.

Tip #8: Look for Sales
Of course you must keep your eyes open for sales if you want to save money on household items. Gather the sales for your local stores and then go through them carefully, looking for the best prices. More than one store may have the same item for different prices. Also look through the store, sometimes stores don't list all of their sales items in their flyer.

find more posts like this click the siggy

click here

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Baby_kisses
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:22 AM

HEy if y'all have ways to save

help this list grow !!

JMVITT
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM

I'll help a little, lol.

Since I live 25 miles from town I have cut back on town shopping to once a week.  This is beneficial in 2 ways.  I save money on gas and I am not going to the store for one thing than get side tracked and buy more. 

Shop at walmart.  I save anywhere from $40-$100 every week. 

Baby_kisses
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM

i think wally world is the reason all the other stores are closing why would people go to the other stores if they can get it at one place right?

jfjones0921
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM

If you have the space and extra cash buy in bulk.

I always buy in bulk and than break it down when i get home.Plus i go to Save A Lot and buy can foods in cases.I will normally spend 120.00 every 2 months there on just canned prooducts(all canned veggies and things like that)Normally i go to the store weekly for fresh stuff and milk.But if the fresh stuff cost too much i always have my canned products to fall back on.

A friend of mine started using the Grocery Game website and has cut her shopping bill in half.It cost a buck for a 4 week trail membership(i think that's it)than it's 4-5 bucks every so many weeks but they have coupons and all kinds of other stuff on there,i am thinking about doing this.

vintage_pearl4
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM

If possible, go to the grocery store alone with your list and stick to it.  I'm way more likely to impulse buy when I have kids begging for cookies.  My husband is even worse than the kids.

Buy quick sale items and freeze.  Stores will usually reduce the price by half or more when meats are about to be thrown out.  As long as it's not expired you can still freeze with no problem.

Stop buying cleaning products.  They're loaded with chemicals and aren't necessary anyway.  You can disinfect counters, floors, sinks, even bathtubs with no more than white vinegar and baking soda.  Baking soda can also be used in your laundry, and to deodorize your carpets.  This alone saved us a lot of money.  The only thing I buy is window cleaner.

Eat less.  Americans are known for out of control portions, and it's not healthy.  Of course you and your fam should never go hungry but pay attention to serving sizes.  If you eat everything on your plate and you're still hungry get a second helping but don't load up the first time.  Usually your eyes are bigger than your stomach and you finish it just because it's there.

Get creative with your leftovers.  Take yesterday's baked chicken can be today's spicy chicken quesidillas. 

Carpool.  Everywhere, lol.

Freecycle.  If you don't know what it is, google it and sign up...you're missing out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)