Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone with a Preemie?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM
  • 20 Replies

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they had a preemie (born at any week) and how they did.  Please tell me how far along you were and if it was a boy or girl and what complications if any your baby had and how your baby is now. 

I am really worried about my baby.  Its a boy and I hear that baby boys don't do as well. 

So ANY stories would be appreciated.  I want to be prepared.  I have preeclampsia and could go at any time!!!!

Thank you Mammas! 

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ceryn2082
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I had my son 6 weeks early.  We weighed nearly 5lbs.  I had been having contractions for several weeks, and was on meds to stop them- my water broke anyway.  I ended up having an emergency C-section because his heart rate was so irratic.

He was 4.5lbs when I took him home- 3 days later.  They would have let me go home the second day, but they wanted to keep an eye on my incision/stitches.  I was so blessed to have such a healthy preemie.

Have they given you any shots?  I got steroid shots that my doc said made a WORLD of difference in the development of my sons lungs.

Rogan @ 2 days old:

Rogan now :)

ComotionGirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quoting Ceryn2082:

I had my son 6 weeks early.  We weighed nearly 5lbs.  I had been having contractions for several weeks, and was on meds to stop them- my water broke anyway.  I ended up having an emergency C-section because his heart rate was so irratic.

He was 4.5lbs when I took him home- 3 days later.  They would have let me go home the second day, but they wanted to keep an eye on my incision/stitches.  I was so blessed to have such a healthy preemie.

Have they given you any shots?  I got steroid shots that my doc said made a WORLD of difference in the development of my sons lungs.

Rogan @ 2 days old:

Rogan now :)

OMG he is SO cute!!!!  I haven't got the shots yet but they are talking about me getting them.  I go back to the dr tomorrow.  Congrats on your Son!  He is Adorable!!!!

mommywillU
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I've been really lucky. My OB had checked me for group B strep and the next day my water broke. Even though she said I was thick and only dialated to a 1/2 cm. She was born on Feb 7th and wasn't due until March 4th. She weighed 4lbs, 14oz. She had problems nursing for the first week or so. She wanted to sleep all of the time so we had to wake her every two hours by undressing her, changing her diaper before and after feedings etc. That was really frusterating for me. She has reflux which is really common in preemies and because of that it she wasn't gaining like she should. The Zantac the dr. prescribed really helped though. And if she doesn't nurse really well at first don't give up. I was told the last month in the womb is really when babies learn how to suck.

Our hospital wouldn't realease her until she was at least back up to her birthweight and she was in the hospital for five days to monitor her weight gain. If the keep yours, take adavantage of it. The nurses are wonderful and it will give you time to recover. We're at two months, and she weighs and two weeks ago she weighed 7lbs, 4oz. She holds her head up and has started smiling.

Also, Wal-Mart has a big selection on preemie onesies. My sister-in-law bought them out.

LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I developed preeclampisa in my 7 months and was admitted into the hosptail the day after thanksgiving because my blood pressure was high and my urnie count was also high. So I was admitted and motoir until to they decide what they were going to do. At 33 weeks they gave me steriods shots to help mature my son's lungs and I also found out he was breech when they did a ultrasound but they also find out his fluid was long and that was because of my preeclampisa. My blood pressure was ok but my unrie count was getting really high and on Dec 3 it was really high that they decide it was time to take my son out. So on that day I had a c section and my son Mikey was devliered 5lbs 3.7 oz, I was able to kiss him but then took him down to the NICU to be check out. My son didn't have any problems he was put down in the NICU because he was born at 34 weeks and they wanted him to gain more weight and learn how to suck on a bottle nipple. My son was in the NICU before coming home and he weight just lilttle over 6lbs when he came home but today he is  16 months old and doing very well but he is doing anything and right on track with other toddlers his age. He also weights 24lbs 12oz and 3 inches long. I was always told when he was in the NICU that they call the white boys wippy because they are slow on gain weight and sucking on the bottle so it takes them longer to get out of the NICU.

He is my son Mikey when he was in the NICU

and this is my son Mikey now.

tfmmpmmdmmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I had my oldest daughter at 32 weeks. She was born stillborn due to being strangled by the chord. SHe was lifeflighted to another hospital. SHe was there 8 weeks. SHe had pneumonia and sepsis. Now she is a healthy 7 year old.

Taryn at 4 pounds 14oz, 08-09-2001

Taryn now at 7.5 years

My twins were born at 26 weeks. My son had heart surgery at 1 week and he aslo had a brain hemmorhage. He was in the NICU for 15 weeks.

Michael at 2 pounds 6oz,  11-10-2006

Michael now at 2.5 years

His twin sister was there 12 weeks. She had a PDA but it closed with meds. She had no other trouble. My twins are now 2.5 years and doing good. My son however is Autistic.

Morgan at 1 pound 14 oz 11-10-2006 (this was her first bath in a cereal bowl)

Morgan now at 2.5 years

Vmcmoon
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I have a preemie Boy. I went into labor at 31 weeks gestation and gave birth at 32 weeks. He was 4lbs 7oz.  and 15 1/2 inches long. He was a little doll. At birth he had jaundice and apnea. He was in the hospital for a month. His only major problem was that he would forget to breath for him self and he needed to eat more..he would fall asleep and needed the weight.  He came home with an Apnea monitor, we never had any problems when he came home. For the first 3 months I gave him caffeine in his formula ( I did both formula and breast feeding).   Needless to say he is now 4 yrs old (his birthday was last week) He has no cognitive learning problems and is a happy healthy boy. The only delay he has is his articulation he is a bit behind. So he goes to speech therapy twice a week. He is such a good boy. So try not to worry to much. I know its hard not to but preemies are sometimes stronger then full term babies..since they have to fight more :-)  Good luck with your little one.

This was him at 10 days old. He was perfectly proportioned and soo tiny. He was like a doll. The preemie clothes were to big on him.lol

This is him now on his 4th birthday.

meandmybean
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:54 AM

31 and a half weeks.

Breathing fine at birth (I had steroids), never took a bottle (she would choke) but she could breast feed.

Was out of the NICU at 6 days and discharged home.

Birthweight: 4 lbs 11 ounces on the card in the NICU but her REAL weight was 4 lbs, 7 ounces.

I had a very healthy pregnancy but was in a car accident causing my water to break.

NOW.... She is 16 months old, started crawling at 4 1/2 months, walking while holding onto something at 6, freely at 9 months, talking at 6 months!

She has been perfectly fine.

meandmybean
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:55 AM

JasminesMom07
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I had my daughter at 35 wks 2 days, she was 5 lbs 9.6 oz and came home with me 2 days later. I had started preterm labor at 34 wks and was on meds to stop contractions, but my water broke.  She is now 2 years old and right on target for everything.  I don't have any baby pics on this computer but here she is at 2.

momtoamo
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Little White boys do have harder times I was told.  My twin boys were born at 34 weeks.  They weighed 4lbs.  They had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks.  It was really scary, all the testing, and uncertainties.  I was crazy, seriously.  I felt no pain, never slept.  I pumped milk like a was producing for a farm.  Everything I did was to ensure my boys came home and were healthy.  I stopped eating crappy food, so they would get more nutrition from my milk.  Even if I could not hold them I went to the hospital everyday all day, then went home for a small bit, and went back with their dad, at night.  One of the scariest times of my whole life.

My boys are now almost 6, and very happy healthy, smart, and perfectly normal.  Good luck to you, and your little boy.  Holding him naked next to your naked skin is one of the best things you can do.

"Abandoning the children in the forest to feed ourselves/  We will all stay more healthy if we do not distribute wealth/  Aimed friendly fire/  There is only greed living the life that we desire/  As we set sail across the raging sea/  Unconquerable by reality....."  Anti-Flag.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)