Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The darn school....they are driving me nuts! Updated w/pic

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM
  • 29 Replies

I swear I have had to deal with the school more this year with my 4th and 6th grader than ever before and most of it is not their fault!  It really is driving me crazy! 

I have been trying to contact my 6th grader's principal all week because the PE teacher decided it was ok to weigh the entire 6th grade class in the same room and announce everyone's weight.  Now the boys are calling the girls fat.  Most of the boys are still smaller than the girls at this age because they haven't really hit their growth spurt yet.  Has anyone ever heard of the HIPPA laws at this school?  Seriously!  The doctors office or insurance company could get into big trouble for giving that out.  I also told my dd that the boys would forget it soon enough.  I have tried very hard to teach her not to listen to what other people say about her and to take it in and let it roll off.  That is one of the reasons she has no idea that I am contacting the school.  I don't want to make it seem like a big deal to her.  It just seems like common sense to me that girls are having a hard enough time at this age with self image without this.  Not to mention the amount of girls with eating disorders out there.  Why would they do this?  I understand the PE teacher is a man but seriously! 

Then this morning dd hands me a three page paper to fill out and it looks like paperwork you fill out at a docotr's office.  Why would they need to know when she started her period or had surgery?  I filled out the paper at the beginning of school saying she has no allergies, nothing to stop her from everyday activities and who her pediatrician is.  I see no reason for them to need any more info than that.  I can just see these papers being seen by someone who shouldn't and more drama going on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs_k_sarnik
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM

No clue....Bump...maybe someone else will.

2chillins4me

Where do you live?  They haven't to my knowledge done anything like this at dd's school but she is only in second grade.  I think it is smart of you to go to the principal.  Hope all works out for your dd's sake. 

two4one

That was a cruel thing for the gym teacher to do.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

WhataLife856
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:10 AM

if you can't reach the principal then go to the school nurse and voice your concerns.  Find out what they need the information for and where it will be kept because of the weight incident.  If still no response going to the school board always works

BoxerMomma
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I live in TX and this is the first year they have done it but they are doing it for 4-8 grade.

Quoting 2chillins4me:

Where do you live?  They haven't to my knowledge done anything like this at dd's school but she is only in second grade.  I think it is smart of you to go to the principal.  Hope all works out for your dd's sake. 

Candice_regina
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM

i would freak out on that PE teacher!!  He wouldn't know what was coming!!  How horrible!!  I'm so sorry!

CrystalRhine
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM

There is no reason for schools to know when they start their periods and had surgeries.  I would hand it back and say it's none of their business.  They are not her doctor.

Quoting two4one:

That was a cruel thing for the gym teacher to do.

3timesoccermom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:18 AM

At our school the kids have to have a physical every year and we have to fill out a 4 page form asking all those questions and more.  However, I don't think we had to do that until they started 7th grade.

Yes, pretty insensitive about the guy doing the weights that way.  I'd contact the principal and superintendent and have this guy get some extra training on these issues.

I'm 46 years old now but can STILL recall being weighed in the 8th grade and having my height and weight called out for everyone to hear.  I, at 140, and 5' 7" was one of the heavier ones and was so embarrassed.  I wasn't fat at all but sure felt that way then.

BoxerMomma
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Well I don't mind bringing them a note from her dr saying she had a physical and is capable of participating in activities but they are not doctors and have no business needing that information.  I will not let this happen without a huge fight.  I haven't talked to any other parents yet but I feel sure I can't be the only one that feels this way.

Quoting 3timesoccermom:

At our school the kids have to have a physical every year and we have to fill out a 4 page form asking all those questions and more.  However, I don't think we had to do that until they started 7th grade.

Yes, pretty insensitive about the guy doing the weights that way.  I'd contact the principal and superintendent and have this guy get some extra training on these issues.

I'm 46 years old now but can STILL recall being weighed in the 8th grade and having my height and weight called out for everyone to hear.  I, at 140, and 5' 7" was one of the heavier ones and was so embarrassed.  I wasn't fat at all but sure felt that way then.

3timesoccermom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Well good luck, but here it's required before they can participate in cheer, band, sports, etc.  They can't even step on the field or participate without having the form on file.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)