Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else have or had a kid like this?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

I keep thinking im a terrible mother my son is 4 and a half monthes and I literally cant put him down for a second im not exxagerating if hes not eating or being carried by me or hubby hes screaming.he even fights to keep himself awake at night he wont sleep until hes so tired he practically passes out. i love him so much but all my friends babies are so calm and they opaly by themselves.his dr says he needs to be left alone sometimes when he cries so he will know me and hubby will come back. I cant bring myself to do this because icant stand the screaming anymore I feel like im neglecting him.we literally do not know anyone where we live so we cnat have someone come help. anyone else have a baby  or child like this?

sorry for the grammer issues im typing ne handed

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leilani_r
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:06 AM

My son definitely had some phases when he was like this. I really think you need to follow your doctor's advice. It'll be super hard for a little while, but in the long run, it will save your sanity. Good luck!

jjeanette16
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM
mine did that around that age were she never wanted to be put dwn and we changed her bottles to the playtex drop ins and it stop like with in 2 days i think because we were using just regular plain bottles it was causing her really bad collic or gas.
sallymoon
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Sounds like my boy!  We had to start co-sleeping with him because he would not sleep unless he was laying beside or ON one of us.  He's gotten a bit less needy, but at 13 months he's still not walking because he's held so much!

yoshiwife
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM

its not medical like gas or anything and     hes been like this since we brought him home im at a loss

Kawanis
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Never had that problem. Ta'Shon prefered to be put in his swing or bouncer. I guess I was blessed.

MommaBear_0406
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM

None of my babys did this, I guess I was lucky.

billysmami
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM

My son is 2.5 and he WAS like that, mainly because i was so overprotective, and always wanted him attached to my hip.  THE BEST thing i ever did was to put him in daycare.  He screamed the first 3 to 4 days, but THE change wwas amazing.  BUT i did not put him in daycare until he was close to 1 yr old, but at that point i couldn't take it anymore.  I couldnt take a shower, cook, clean or have some free time because he REQUIRED me to be with him 24/7...

U need to follow your doctors advice.  Let him cry for 5, then 7 then 10 minutes, until eventually hes going to learn to play by himself, watch TV my himself and things like that.

My mother always told me that raising boys is not easy because u ned to make sure u raise A MAN.... and at this age, they need to be curious, not to dependent on their mothers.  The only thing i have not been able to undo, is the cosleeping, he still sleeps with us, which has put a bit of strain on our marriage because we have no intimacy but right now, nobody is fighting over it because we have a 2 month old baby.  Lil Billy is pretty good now, but he does have his moments when he wants to be carried.... at 34 pounds..i can't do it for long period of time.   

Lovingmykids3
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM

My son is 5 months old and he was the same way up until like a 2 months ago... he would be the same way and cry unless i was holding him.. I coulnt get anything done around the house and it was driving me nuts so finally i gave up and the only thing i could do is get it to where i would lay him down in his crib and rub his head gently and tell him 'nite nite baby" kiss him and then i would walk away and shut the door a little . Yes he would scream for a few minutes and then he would go to sleep. But if he cried for more than 5 minutes i would go in there and talk to him and get him to calm down and then i would do that routeine all over again until he got the hang of it. It will take  a week or so for him/her to get used to it. once they learn that "hey this isnt so bad, this must be where im supposed to sleep' ... try that method for a week and i bet it will work. Good luck !!!

RoseWall
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

your actions reinforce his behavior. im not sure how you can change it. yet i think it sounds like you are ready to. its probably a good time. school age is soon for him. so dealing with it now in what ever manner works for you. im kinda getting the idea that it is going to involve some amount of crying. probably a lot. i will be sending positive energy your way. maybe there are books on this subject? i dont really know. hang in there. and hopefully soon things will go the way you need them to. i cant say i have had a kid like this. yet my kids were all very attached to me when young. and yes they did cry when i finally began to reclaim my space and time for myself. you can do this. it may not be easy. huggles and love

RW

yoshiwife
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM

hes four and a half months not years

Quoting RoseWall:

your actions reinforce his behavior. im not sure how you can change it. yet i think it sounds like you are ready to. its probably a good time. school age is soon for him. so dealing with it now in what ever manner works for you. im kinda getting the idea that it is going to involve some amount of crying. probably a lot. i will be sending positive energy your way. maybe there are books on this subject? i dont really know. hang in there. and hopefully soon things will go the way you need them to. i cant say i have had a kid like this. yet my kids were all very attached to me when young. and yes they did cry when i finally began to reclaim my space and time for myself. you can do this. it may not be easy. huggles and love

RW

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)