• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speaking of being sued...I am being sued for an at fault accident 2 years ago...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM
  • 26 Replies

So I just received word from our old car insurance company that the woman who was injured in a car accident that I was found at fault in, 2 years ago is suing me for medical bills and some other things...

We have the lowest liability coverage $25000 per person. We were informed that she is suing for more than our liability coverage. My husband and I have 2 young children, recently out of school, have debts up to the ceiling, just recently bought a house last summer, we live on one income and we live paycheck to paycheck. We have no assets, except maybe the car we drive, we have only 1. What happens if I end up owing her money? I am afraid as to how that is going to work out, what the court will do to ensure payment, because we really can't be taking any more money out of my husband's paycheck, or we would be a lot worse off than before.

To complicate matters, my husband is contemplating divorce and we are sort of separated, but have not filed anything with the courts. What would happen if we did divorce. I understand that they could take money out of my future earnings, but if I become a single mom how am I going to provide for my children and be able to live?

I am so scared right now...I hate the waiting and I just hate my luck. Things aren't looking good...Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers, and please pray that something will work in my/our favor....

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jacobsmommy0907
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

did the lady sign a settlement form for that accident???

bookwriter4kids
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

call a lawyer and find out what the statue of limitations are...also, sounds like that lady must be low on cash to wait 2 years to sue....if your insurance already paid her and she accepted I do not believe she has a case. 

treeswallow
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

what is a settlement form? I don't know, I haven't been told much yet....I am still in limbo...

treeswallow
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

She is suing me because my insurance company was unable to settle with her...The statute of limitations in VA is 2 years...She filed 2 months before the time was up...

Quoting bookwriter4kids:

call a lawyer and find out what the statue of limitations are...also, sounds like that lady must be low on cash to wait 2 years to sue....if your insurance already paid her and she accepted I do not believe she has a case. 

themacs4
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I'm sorry!  People are so sue happy these days!!  I thought there was a limit as to how long ago the incident happend and if you can sue or not!!  I would check into that!

aleciamarie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I was sued for 1 million dollars for an accident once.  My insurance company provided an attorney for me, offered her a settlement, which she and her attornies declined.  After about 6 - 8 months, I got a phone call from my attorney that the case had been dismissed by the judge.  I never stepped foot into a court room.  See if your insurance company is going to provide you with an attorney.  In any case....good luck!

ljliammama

Im sorry you are going through all of this right now.  I hope that the information I'm about to give you is wrong for your sake but when I got new car insurance AFTER I bought my house, I was told to get the highest possible coverage because if I was involved in an accident, they could go after my house.  Good Luck with everything...

cassandra25

YOU NEED TO TALK TO A LAWYER...there is a statue of limitations on things like that..

themacs4
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Geez...how much does she want?

Quoting treeswallow:

She is suing me because my insurance company was unable to settle with her...The statute of limitations in VA is 2 years...She filed 2 months before the time was up...

Quoting bookwriter4kids:

treeswallow
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:59 AM

In VA the S.of limitations is 2 years...It would have been 2 years in June of this year...She filed at the end of March so that she fell within that window....It is legit on her end.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)