Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you with dogs....

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM
  • 25 Replies

I have a question. But first a little back story...

Last May our friend found a dog that someone tried to drown in the river. He knew I'd been looking for a dog so he called me and I went to pick him up. When I laid eyes on him I KNEW he was "our" dog! He was about 3 months old or so and was a lab/retriever mix. But there was an INSTANT bond. The following October we had to move across state. He did NOT tolerate the move at all. I had him completely house broken and her reverted back to pottying in the house. He kept trying to run away which he NEVER left our yard. He just wasn't happy. So brokenheartedly we took him back home and let our old next door neighbor have him. He loved to climb the fence to play with their dog all the time. So I knew they would take good care of him. We ALL miss him so much...

I promised the kids we would get a new dog after we got settled in and used to living here.

So fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I start shopping around for a dog to adopt. And I come across an ad that was posted about a dog that was left behind when it's family moved away. It said he had been left in the yard with no food or water. So they had been taking care of him but couldn't actually keep him. They send me a picture of a small puppy. So I figure this is my chance to rescue a dog and have a good new family member.

So we go to pick him up and he is HUGE! At 5 months he is already 60 lbs. He is eye level to my 2 yo. But I figure that's okay we can work with that. It'll just take some adjusting. But we get him home and he has done nothing but terrorize the kids. Not meanly but he jumps on them, knocks them down, steals their food... He is just too wild. I am assuming that living outside on his own for a couple of months has made him that way.

The kids don't want to keep him. They want a different dog. A smaller calmer dog. And there just ISN'T the bond we had with our last dog. I know that no dog will ever be him but I just don't feel like this dog fits with us.

DH is making me feel horrible. He keeps saying I haven't really given him a chance. Because it's only been 2 weeks. But I just don't feel a connection to him and neither does the kids. They took a vote without me this morning voting to take him to DH's aunt and find a "better" dog.

I feel awful but I don't know what else to do. We want a dog really bad I just don't think this is him...

What do you guys think? Do you think I am horrible? What would you do? 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bookwriter4kids
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I am not going to say I think you are horrible...what I will say is that I think it is horrible when people get a dog and don't train it.  ALL dogs will jump, steal food whatever until they are taught the rules of one's house.  It breaks my heart to hear stories of people giving away an animal simply because they don't (for whatever reason) bother to train the animal.  We all teach our kids manners why not our pets? 

nurbabe82
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I am not saying this to be mean but I think you need to give the dog another chance. This dog has obviously has had very little training and needs its badly(remember he is only a puppy). Or it could be he is just an outside dog. A friend had a dog like that. They could never bring him in b/c he acted like a jerk. Give the poor dog another chance. Make sure he gets lots of exercise and do some obedience training. If that doesn't help well..... 

yotamomof4
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I agree with the previous posters...give the dog a chance :) 

dragonfly24
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

actually he just sounds like a big  normal puppy. Big dogs have big puppies and while they all go through the same puppy phase the big dogs can be more destructive than a smaller dog. This will pass and you could train all this out of him. He is just a baby and he is doing what babies do but he is big and will cause more damage.

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

judybant
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Have you taken him to the vet, gotten his shots, and a good check up? Have you contacted your vet to find out where you can take him to Puppy training classes? THat's all he needs... training and time. A dog that size is naturally going to try to run roughshod over the kids in the family. Take the kids, AND the puppy to classes to show him HOW to be a loving, OBEDIENT member of the family. Your local chapter of the American Kennel Club will help you teach your children how to be good to the dog, and how not to "cue" him on Doggy behavior that is NOT child friendly, but all dogs do it, particularly puppies, until they learn how NOT to do it. Don't give up on him yet. And make sure you get him neutered as soon as your vet recommends it. It helps with some of those behaviors.

carrieasia
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM

i agree with the other psters.  it takes time to train a puppy, and bigger dogs are just that, bigger.  we have always had big dogs!  it takes time and dedication, just like with any animal.  good luck!

Rene04
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I would say give him a chance.  It may take a few times for him to get the point.  Make sure you are rewarding him when he listens like he should if he starts jumping up on you just put your knee out so he comes down on it.  When he does it to the kids try to get the kids away from him and ignore him so he learns that that isn't the appropriate way to get attention.  I have had quite a few dogs throughout my life time and have trained friend's dogs.  If you have any questions please feel free to pm me and I will help you in any way that I can.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Hi, my name is Brandy.About 4 yrs. ago we "rescued" a dog that had been adopted out to a diff. family. When we went to pick her up she was sort of skittish. Didn't think very much about it,until we got her home. She was/is terrified of MEN.

Apparently, the daddy of that other family BEAT her. It took til Jan. of this year for her to love us....my hubby is the only man allowed to touch her. When we first got her he was always saying we should find somebody to give her to.Because he wanted a dog that would at least let him touch her.

Give the baby some time momma! Who knows what all he's been through.

(Here's a pic of our rescue....Bella)

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM

He sounds like a normal dog who's excited about this new and wonderful thing called a family.

But, if he has to go...

At our shelter, we had an adoption process. We have a "getting to know you room", where you and you family can play with the dog, get to know him, see what he's like around your kids. We encourage the whole family to come out, take the dog outside, play with him, walk him..so you KNOW the dog you choose is the right match for your family. I hope you do something like this before you get another dog.

Where will this dog go once he has to leave your home?

Lucy431
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM

If we do decide to let him go he will go to DH's aunt who never had kids and has made big dogs her life. She would spoil him rotten. It's not like I would just throw him out in to the street. I would never do that.

Quoting msmoody:

He sounds like a normal dog who's excited about this new and wonderful thing called a family.

But, if he has to go...

At our shelter, we had an adoption process. We have a "getting to know you room", where you and you family can play with the dog, get to know him, see what he's like around your kids. We encourage the whole family to come out, take the dog outside, play with him, walk him..so you KNOW the dog you choose is the right match for your family. I hope you do something like this before you get another dog.

Where will this dog go once he has to leave your home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)