Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QUESTION FOR CHILDREN AND DENTISTS... (Little long, sorry)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so here is the story.  My son is 11, and he has been living with his father for the past 3 or 4 years now.  He is going to move in with me this June.  The day after his last day of school.  It is his last year in elementary school, and he had been there since 1st grade.  Which is why I am waiting until this summer to move him in with me, so he can graduate with all of his friends.  Anyway, my son (Bayle), had a cavity 2 years ago.  His Aunt Marla was still alive then, and she made sure his father (her brother), kept my son on insurance (even if it was medicade).  Bayle's dad took him to the dentist, but I guess my son didn't like the needle, too painfull for him.  So, his father set up another appointment, and left, didn't finish what the doctor wanted to do with my son's tooth.  Well, Bayle's dad never took him back to ANY dentist.  I thought he did.  Last summer, Bayle's tooth was hurting him really bad.  I thought his father had medicade still, for Bayle, so I thought he would take care of it.  But when my son visited, I noticed that his tooth had not been fixed.  I finally found out that Bayle's dad never had insurance on my son.  So, I ended up going down to the welfare department, and getting him on medicade (Care Source) so I could get his tooth fixed.  Well, I've had Care Source for about 2 months, and took my son into an emergency dentist (my son was having pain issues in school, and had to have days off because of the bad tooth, and his father still wouldn't do anything about it).  My son couldn't go through with the procedure (he was getting a root canal, that is how bad the tooth ended up being which makes me severly mad at his father).  So, I left and set an appointment up with a Pediactrics dentist.  His appointment is tomorrow.  I guess this place is really good, because it took awhile to get an appointment set for him.  And of course, it is also Easter weekend.  Didn't know it was Easter weekend until after I set the appointment.  Anyway, I'm picking my son up this afternoon, making him have no school tomorrow.  But why do I feel so horrible for him?  I wasn't the one who made Bayle go through all this, his father did.  But, I know in the end, I made the right choice, and I'm getting my son's teeth healthy again.  I just had to let this out.  It's been bothering me for awhile.  And please don't bash me for getting Medicade, my son really needed it.  I'm only on it temporary so my son can get his teeth fixed.  Some people get mad at me when they know I'm on Care Source, but those people don't understand what is going on with my child either. 

So, here is my question, now that I finally let my steam out about his father's stupidity.  What do you think the dentist will do for my son?  I know they may do the root canal, but is there something I could suggest to the dentist to use, so that the numbing shot won't hurt him?  He litterally freaks out when they put the needle in to fix his tooth.  I'm not sure if they use laughing gas or not on children.  And alot of the pain, is because his dad didn't do what he was supposed to be doing so it wouldn't get this bad IMO.  Has anyone else went through a situation with your child, if so what did the dentist do?  Or what did they use?  Sorry this was so long, and thanks for any advice.   

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bookwriter4kids
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I'd call the dentist right now and make sure they can give him nitrous and then the novacaine.  My son had 4 teeth pulled and that's how we did.  He didn't remember anything. 

I don't care what insurance you have...at least you are able to have some.  I have none (I'm sure someone will have to say something about that)

mommy_of-2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM

They will put kids under sometimes.  My niece was 3 1/2 with 4 cavities...they put her under to take care of them.

cinderella22_17
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM

My son's dentist used a laser, there were no shots what so ever and it only took about 5 mins to fill 3 cavities.  No bashing my son has bottle rot because I didn't know that giving him a small( less the an oz of juice mixed in with 7 oz of water) of juice at night could hurt his teeth. If I could go back in time I would kick myself in the butt!

exceptalilfish
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM

they do do the laughing gas on kids, i saw the oldest girls on john and kate plus 8 got to use it. also, they usually rub numbing gel on the area before they give you the shot. you need to tell him to be a big boy, the needles is scary but the shot doesnt actually hurt much. when i was 11 i had to get 3 root canals, my mom gave me a half a xanax and i dont even remember it at all, lol. i dont reccomend that, just sharing my story

mommy2twoangel
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM

My son is 3 almost 4 and he went to the dentist yesterday.  They gave him a liquid sedative to calm him and then the nitrous oxide and then the shot to numb him.   

gerigirl90
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Awesome ladies.  Thanks a bunch.  I'm hoping to get this tooth fixed and over with.  I'm calling right now to set something up for his appointment, or do I even need to call?  Will they give it to him without me calling?  The sedative or whatever it is they give the kids, I mean. 

monkeymomma9501
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Is it a baby tooth or a adult? Ask if you can go back with him sometimes that will help.  You can also call and express you concern ask if there is anything that can be given prior to help with his anxiety! Nitrous will also help as the pp said.

whocg23
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Hi. I had to get some procedures done when I was a kid. My dentist (a peds dentist) used the silly gas plus a nurse sat by my side with a cotton swab on my gums. I learned as I got older that she was holding numbing gel on my gums where they would be putting the needle. The dentist even used a special needle but showed me how it worked before he used it on me. By going to a peds dentist, they will know exactly what to do to help your son feel better with what needs to be done. There are all sorts of things that they can do to put him at ease. I hope he does okay. :) Take Care!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)