Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child/Medical support question. Help please!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

My oldest will be 6 this year. Paternity wasn't established until he was 4. (Long story).

After all the paperword, and paternity testing, he is his father, which I knew from day one. He pays $200 every two weeks. He does not support him with medical insurance, in the state of NY, legally, is he supposed to?

My son has no medical insurance, and had a seizure in school, we have over $3k of bills SO FAR from tests/doctor/hospital visits.

We can't afford to pay them, and because of my boyfriend s income (who has been there since my oldest was born) he doesn't qualify for Medicaid.

Any suggestions and/or advice/guidance would be great! Thanks!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Miranda83
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

This is up to the court but I think New York state is one of the worst states for child support. My daughter's dead beat father does not have to cover my daughter on his health insurance and my daughter does not have it either they had told me that he can not afford it and that I should go apply for medicaid.  The sperm donor only pays 24.00 a week and that was lowered from 50.00 a week. My daughter had orthodontic work and it cost me 3200.00 out of pocket and they did not even make him pay half... Good Luck  

* your boyfriends income should not matter you are not married and there is also child Health Plus have you tried that. You will probaly get further going to get the insurance for him there is no reason he should not be able to get Child health plus. And if you are over income they make you pay 9.00 a month and that is with no co-pay. My daughter is now on my husbands insurance so I don't have my children on there insurance but I heard it is good.

mommy2twoangel
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Try and qualify for assistance without using your boyfriends income.  If you are not married, you don't have to put his income down I don't think.  As far as dad having to cover him on medical, it is up to the courts and what you have laid out as far as custody, child support and such.  If it is no where written that he has to cover him, he won't. 

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit this CafeMom Group:

Advice for Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

< The Cafe Group Admin Team

x_sabine_x
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I was under the impression that children get free medicaid insurance regardless of income... OR why not just count your income? Since you're boyfriend is not the biological father, don't count his income. Your LO needs insurance and probably meds to prevent seizures!

-Ellen-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)