Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about cooking.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

sooo i'm not much of a cook, at all. *no bashing. i wasnt raised to have to learn how to cook* well, me and my husband got into an argument last night. completely my fault. and i wanted to cook him spaghetti and have it ready when he gets home. so my question is, and please dont laugh, how do i cook the noodles? i know the basics, you boil water and put noodles in lol. butttt...do you put the noodles in as soon as the water starts to boil? do you turn the burner down a knotch once it starts boiling? and how long do you cook the noodles? also...if i'm cooking noodles, browning meat and adding spaghetti sauce...and if he gets home at 5:30, what time should i start cooking?

thanks ladies. i know this sounds silly. but again, i never had to learn how to cook.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Baby Icons

Age cannot define how good of a mother you are

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dragonfly24
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM

salt the water and let it start to boil. Put desired amount of noodles in the pan an reduce heat (if heat is too high they will boil over) cook 5-7 mins until  you can cut them with a fork or I taste them. I would start about 5:00

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

Erna2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Get the water to a rolling boil. I add salt to the water before I add the noodles. Add the noodles. If they are regular spaghetti noodles I usually boil them about 8-10 minutes. Angel hair about 4-5. I make my sauce from scratch so I don't know about when to start the sauce from a jar, but I assume you just heat dit up. Not too long. Good luck! 

family in the van

cnw222
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Spaghetti really takes no time at all; if you start at say 4:45 it should be nice and hot and ready for him when he gets in.  For the noodles, add them when the water boils..and make sure to have lots of water.  Salt the water before you put the noodles in so your pasta can have flavor.  As for how long, it depends on how you like it..if you like it al dente, follow the directions on the box, their time frame (about 8 to ten mins) is usually for aldante.meaning with a bite to it..a little hard..a little soft.  If you like it a bit softer, you can cook it longer..no more than 12 mins top.  Remember to constantly stir your noodles so they won't stick.  Some would add oil the pan to prevent sticking, but I don't..stirring eliminates that.  Hope that helps.

kdasgirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Don't feel bad.. I never learned to cook either! After I got married I discovered the Food Network and that's where I've learned pretty much everything I know about cooking.

I usually add the noodles after the water is boiling and keep it boiling for a good ten minutes or so until the noodles are soft and chewy (I take one out on a spoon and bite it)

As for the sauce.. I have no idea about timing. I'd cooke the meat while the noodles are cooking then pour the souce over it. It shouldn't take long to heat up the sauce. Don't trust me on this though.. like I said, I'm not so good with this part lol

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
mstnbecki
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM

for the sauce you could cook it anytime,just brown the hamburger and drain it, then add your sauce and let it simmer awhile.My SO hates it if I dont let the sauce cook at least a half hr before serving it.

brittneyon
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

thank you ladies! i hope he likes it lol. i guess on the upside, if i mess it out, we get to go eat out! haha. thank you again!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Baby Icons

Age cannot define how good of a mother you are

cjsmom0206
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

She's right. Salt the water after it boils, and add a generous amount of salt. Add the noodles and give them a good stir. If it's boiling to hard you can turn it down a notch or two. Once they start to get tender, take one out and try it. Everyone has a preference on how done they like their pasta, mine has to be al dente (a bit firm). Brown your hamburger and add the sauce straight to the pan.

If you want to coordinate your timeing, put your water on and start browning your meat at the same time. That way your pasta will not be done before your sauce, you can always turn your sauce down low if it's finished before your pasta.

Quoting Erna2:

Get the water to a rolling boil. I add salt to the water before I add the noodles. Add the noodles. If they are regular spaghetti noodles I usually boil them about 8-10 minutes. Angel hair about 4-5. I make my sauce from scratch so I don't know about when to start the sauce from a jar, but I assume you just heat dit up. Not too long. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)