Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yep, my fifteen billionth post about tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 4 Replies

DS had tonsils & adenoids out Monday. The first two days were great, today, not so much. He's still doing well, though. It kind of seems like his little body is getting used to the pain meds and they're not doing AS much now. 

For Easter DH's family goes to his grandparents farm that's about an hour and a half car ride, and we all just kind of sit outside for the day. We eat, the kids do an easter egg hunt and go to town on all the candy they find, and run around in the gigantor field by the house. 

Of course I won't know how DS is feeling until then, but I'm not sure I should take him. Number one, I really don't think it'd be fair to him to watch all the other kids eating candy & whatnot that he can't have (especially with him having surgery just 6 days earlier), and I'd have to really keep an eye on him that he didn't get too too active (directions given by the ENT nurse). I think it'd be more frustrating than fun for him, plus he's still going to be on the hydrocodone (aka vicodin), which makes him very sleepy.   

I guess I know I don't want to take him, but I'm sure DH will be upset and I guess it'd make me feel a little better having some "back up" so to speak lol. I'm actually thinking about postponing easter baskets for a week, how cruel would that be for little DS to wake up to a big basket of candy that he can't touch!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
yotamomof4
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I am NOT looking forward to my dd surgery on Tuesday...they told me she would not be allowed to be more than 20 minutes from home for 2 weeks. My mom is going to fill Hannah's Easter basket with candy and those unfrozen popsicles...just an idea..I hope he feels better soon :) 

JudeandLucy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Is your DD having the same thing done? It's actually gone really smooth for DS...especially compared to the horror stories I've heard! The surgery itself only took about 20 minutes, including having tubes in his ears.

vangel34
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Tough spot to be in!  I would also consider post-poning if he's still not feeling well on Saturday.

aidansmom0313
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM

My DS just had his tonsils and adenoids out at the end of last August. Days 3-7 are the worst for a little kid b/c that's when the scabs really form and it makes the pain worse (this was told to me directly by my ENT). So I don't think it's him getting accustomed to the meds, it's just that now that the scabs are there, the pain has gotten worse. I honestly would NOT take him that far b/c he's really not going to be up for it. I'm sure DH's family will understand, even if DH himself doesn't. The pain itself doesn't start to recede until about day 9 or 10, so it's really not fair to take your DS somewhere where he's really not going to have much fun b/c of the surgery. I would still make him his Easter basket, just put other things in it besides candy. I like the idea of the unfrozen ice pops, may be some small toys would be good too. If he likes them, the Marshmallow Peeps should still be ok for him to have since they're soft. I hope you can work things out with your DH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)