Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chocolate Whoopie Pies , PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM
  • 2 Replies

I made these this morning for my son to bring to school tomorrow. I thought I would share. They came out good.

Cake

1 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour milk
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup hot water
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of shortening and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla and sour milk. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Stir together the baking soda and hot water then mix them into the batter last. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm but not overbaked. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Chocolate Buttercream Filling

1 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup butter
4 1/2 cups confectionary sugar
1/2 cup of whole milk
3 tsp vanilla extract

Mix cocoa and butter until blended. Add remaining ingredients and beat on high speed with mixer until fluffy. Scoop into a large heavy duty ziploc bag and cut corner off. Pipe onto half of the cakes and cover frosting with the other half.  

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
25beengoodtome
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I have this recipe!

I got it from a great lady -friend I met in Denver, back in '81 Her name is Kelly, her hubby at the time was Tom. They were both from Mass. She and I gave birth weeks apart from each other. Me, my 2nd son. Kelly had her first child, a beautiful girl! I wish I could find Kelly & Tom. They were some great people to know. They moved to Florida, me&DH moved to Arizona.

heatherrose329
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM

thanks  have to try it out tomarrow !!!!!!!

baking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)