Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? for moms with preemies

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son was born at 35 weeks and he is six months old now. He is doing a lot of the things he should be for his age but the things i'm a bit worried about is so far he can sit up as long as i'm helping but will only sit up for a few seconds on his own. Also, he rolls from stomach to back like a pro but won't go from his back to stomach. I was wondering how some of your preemies developed and if this is normal. Thanks in advance for the help!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afallingstar741
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Mine was born at 36 weeks and is now 5 months. He rolls from belly to back, but has only done back to belly once.....Has anyone told you to go from his due date and NOT his birthdate for developmental things?? Mine is a bit behind other 5 month olds...but doing well for being a preemie.

britt_a
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM

yeah, his pedi said to go by the due date but i still think that if i go by that he should still be done some  of those things a little better. maybe. My older son was sitting up and rolling very early for his age so i am really not sure about it this time around lol.

Quoting afallingstar741:

Mine was born at 36 weeks and is now 5 months. He rolls from belly to back, but has only done back to belly once.....Has anyone told you to go from his due date and NOT his birthdate for developmental things?? Mine is a bit behind other 5 month olds...but doing well for being a preemie.

afallingstar741
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I do every now and again....mine is still small. just growing out of 0-3 mos clothes, and sometimes I drive myself nuts because other babies are more advanced than him.....I just have to let it go... 

shabby.chic
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM

My dd was born at 35 weeks also. Now she is 8 months old-she's right on track with some things-rolling, crawling, but she can't sit up very well either. I wouldn't worry yet, sounds like you little man is doing very well.

God loves everyone, but probably prefers 'fruits of the spirit' over 'religious nuts'.
He who angers you controls you.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead.  So why should you?

britt_a
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I know what you mean, i've been having a hard time comparing sometimes too. My little guy is only 13 pounds now and just got into the 3-6 month clothes a couple weeks ago. he is still tiny but he's tall lol.

Quoting afallingstar741:

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I do every now and again....mine is still small. just growing out of 0-3 mos clothes, and sometimes I drive myself nuts because other babies are more advanced than him.....I just have to let it go... 

monseymom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM

go by your due date - think of him as 5 months old. My daughter was also born at 35 weeks, and I had to keep reminding myself that she's really a month behind. Eventually they catch up - DD is 14 months and is now advanced for her age - no preemie in sight! She walks, talks, and basically gets into lots of trouble! Her therapist told me that you just need lots of patience with these tiny babies and try not to rush them.

Izayahsmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM

My son was born at 24 weeks and he is 16 mos today =D

He just barely started to sit up by himself like a month ago from laying down to sitting up that is. He just went at his own pace when reaching the milestones.

Every baby goes at their own pace, preemie or not. But do keep in mind, you should go by the "adjusted age" as that is what the doctors usually track their progress as.

If you are super concerned and your doctor expresses concern, you can always recruit a occupational therapist to help out.

Good luck and congrats!

*Izayah's Mom*
Free Blinkies
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
tfmmpmmdmmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM

6 months is not too bad for sitting up. My twins were 11 months old when they started sitting on their own. They were 26 weekers.

143JAJL
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:38 PM

My daughter born at 28 weeks, she stay 1month and 5 days in the hospital. She know 12 years old Healthy littler brat. lol

MOM dont worry every baby is different and learn different.  One Learn faster than the other ones.

My younger daughter is 1 years old now. and she learn to sit at almost 8month, and still NO walk.

marina069
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM

my first dd was born at 34 weeks and i really don't remember her development, other than when she started walking, which was 15 months, maybe ask the dr at baby's next appt. but remember he is really only 5 months, i don't remember when babies start sitting up by themselves, my youngest is 21 months and i just can't remember that far back, lol, i do remember she did not like rolling over at first, good luck

Lauri, mommy to 2 princesses

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)