Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont know what to do!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am losing it ladies!

I always swore I would not raise a brat...but by God, thats exactly what I am doing!

My DD is 4 years old.  She used to be the sweetest little girl you have ever met.  Now she is so mean...mean to me and her daddy!  I have to tell her to do something 10 times before she does it.  She throws a hysterical fit before nap time and bed time every day.  I have tried time out, I have tried taking things away, I have tried getting on her level and using our "words" to work things out...I even resorted to spanking her...NOTHING works!  It is ridiculous how much this kid cries... I have never, in my life, seen a child who cries as much as she does.  She cries over everything!!  I am somewhat asking for advice I guess...I know its tough because its not just one problem...its several.  How in the world am I supposed to get this child to behave without losing my mind...cause I will admit, I am about a day and a half away from flipping out... someone help, lol!!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prescilla210
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Sounds like a toddler.. Mine is the same way, but theres her sweet days also

heartsandskulls
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM

the mysterious way of the 4 yr old!!! lol i hope you can get some advice...mine does the same thing. i think the discovery health channel should do a show called de-coding the 4 yr old

pregnancy week by week

HeatherMae55
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I'm sorry ur going through this.. when my son (will be 3 in July) gets all whiny and crying for no reason, I send him to his room by himself and I ignore him completely until he acts right... each time I do it it takes less and less time for him to get that I'm not going to give in to his demands..  That's the only piece of advice I have..

Good luck!!

coexist.jpg coexist image by lupelagata

UpSheRises
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Have you tried completley ignoring the behavior?

prescilla210

don't feel bad, I think it is normal for their age, we just need patience

lovemymarine306

i know that one way parents make a mistake in discipline is by not being consistent and not following through with a threat.  for example, i will count to three and if you don't pick up your toys you will get timeout.  if you get to three and don't immediately put her in timeout, then you didn't follow through.  i'm not saying you do those things, but i just wanted to put it out there.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

ljliammama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Oh my god, You & I are living the same life.  Except I have a son.  But seriously, I am at my wits end.  So here's a bump because I wanna see the advice too!  Good luck to you!

ohmsgrace05
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Amen to that!!

Quoting heartsandskulls:

the mysterious way of the 4 yr old!!! lol i hope you can get some advice...mine does the same thing. i think the discovery health channel should do a show called de-coding the 4 yr old

ohmsgrace05
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Its down right embarrassing sometimes!  I hate to discipline in public!!  That is when she is at her worst most times... I am in the store, nerves frazzled, breaking a freaking sweat and my child is the child I swore I would never have... just blatantly disobeying... it drives me crazy!   Its gotten to the point where we dont want to take her anywhere...not even her friends house because when it is time to leave, she freaks out and cries like she has just cut off a finger!  None of the other kids are doing that, I dont know why she is, lol!  I appreciate the support... but the terrible twos are NOTHING compared to ferocious fours!!

POOKA123
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Quoting lovemymarine306:

i know that one way parents make a mistake in discipline is by not being consistent and not following through with a threat.  for example, i will count to three and if you don't pick up your toys you will get timeout.  if you get to three and don't immediately put her in timeout, then you didn't follow through.  i'm not saying you do those things, but i just wanted to put it out there.

I have to agree with this, its about being consistance, if you do the displine today you have to do it the next day and so forth, also when she has those fits, talk to her, let her know its not exceptable, I used the talking method all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)