Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honest Opinions

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm doing a research paper based on any subject from the documentary "black in america". The topic of being biracial came up and i'm choosing this as my topic. My son is half black(dad) and half white (mom). I'm doing lots of research on what people in general choose as their identity and any racism they might experience. I've completed forms for my son and there's sometimes not a "box" to check for biracial, soemtimes other with about 1/4" to explain his race, or sometimes i'll choose two boxes black and white. I've encountered racism first hand and it's ugly. I do tend to be very protective and maybe a little overbearing where he's concerned. So give me your views, opinions, whatever. Thanks ladies.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM

What do you want to know our opinions about?

Humboldt0608
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Is it just biracial with the mix of black and white or any biracial people?

If it's any just PM me... don't really like putting my business all out there on the net you know?

If not then here's a BUMP for ya!

greenie63
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM

anything on this topic of being biracial

Quoting UpSheRises:

What do you want to know our opinions about?

LuvinMyBoynGirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:26 PM

my dh is half black, half mexican, I am full white...so my kiids are 1/4 black 1/4 mexican and 1/2 white...I usually mark hispanic on the checkboxes...or if you can pick more, I pick all 3

miralerk
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM

My children are mixed. I personally dont check any of the boxes for them. The government considers them white because I am white. My children consider themselves tan. A woman told my daughter once that she would be pretty if she wasn't black. My daughter looked at her and said It doesnt matter what color you are and I am pretty. You however have a very ugly soul. She was six at the time. My daughter is shyer than my son. He has never met a stranger. One time a kid on the bus called him a N*gger. He looked at his sister and didnt know what it was. She told him that  he is not a _____ and the little boy didnt know what he was talking about. She then took out her dictonary and read him what the definition was. The other little boy the called her one and she punched him and was kicked off the school bus for three days. I was proud of her and I still am. The little boy that was picking on them doesnt speak to either one of them. I called the boys mother she and I had went to school together. She was appalled and she came and got the kids and made them ride together for a week. He wont speak to my daugther because i guess his friends made fun of him for getting hit by a girl. She is in second grade and the other boy was in fourth and was picking on my son who is a kindergardener this year. I hope that makes some sense.

greenie63
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM

perfect sense momma. thank you for sharing! I understand the ignorance some people feel the need to express, which can be painful. I actually had a women once ask me "you had sex with a black man". I replied no maam, I added mccormicks chocolate flavored seasoning in my uterus". She proceeded to walk away in a huff.

Quoting miralerk:

My children are mixed. I personally dont check any of the boxes for them. The government considers them white because I am white. My children consider themselves tan. A woman told my daughter once that she would be pretty if she wasn't black. My daughter looked at her and said It doesnt matter what color you are and I am pretty. You however have a very ugly soul. She was six at the time. My daughter is shyer than my son. He has never met a stranger. One time a kid on the bus called him a N*gger. He looked at his sister and didnt know what it was. She told him that  he is not a _____ and the little boy didnt know what he was talking about. She then took out her dictonary and read him what the definition was. The other little boy the called her one and she punched him and was kicked off the school bus for three days. I was proud of her and I still am. The little boy that was picking on them doesnt speak to either one of them. I called the boys mother she and I had went to school together. She was appalled and she came and got the kids and made them ride together for a week. He wont speak to my daugther because i guess his friends made fun of him for getting hit by a girl. She is in second grade and the other boy was in fourth and was picking on my son who is a kindergardener this year. I hope that makes some sense.

LuvinMyBoynGirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I hate that word..one of my brothers is 13 and has a lot of black friends, and thinks its okay to use that word...well he uses it around my daughter alexis saying " haha alexis your a beaner and a N*gger all wrapped into one, your like the worst 2 races out there" I flipped on him, he said he was kidding, but I didn't take it as a joke, I had to explain to him that she is only 2 and if he calls her that and says stuff like that to her she might think something is wrong with her because her uncle says shes "the worst 2 races out there" I also told him if I EVER heard it again, or heard of him saying it, he will NOT be around my children anymore...he isn't racist, but he doesn't understand that he can't say those types of things.  Not sure if this makes since either...lol but reading your reply reminded me of this and got my blood boiling lol 

Quoting miralerk:

LuvinMyBoynGirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM

lmao that's hilarious

Quoting greenie63:

perfect sense momma. thank you for sharing! I understand the ignorance some people feel the need to express, which can be painful. I actually had a women once ask me "you had sex with a black man". Ireplied no maam, I added mccormicks chocolate flavored seasoning in my uterus". She proceeded to walk away in a huff.

Quoting miralerk:

luv_my_xiya
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM

people try to make my dd biracial, does that count lol?? shes black...here's a bump for ya! 

LuvinMyBoynGirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

people try to make my dd biracial, does that count lol?? shes black...here's a bump for ya! 

omg she's gorgeous! I love her curly hair and her eyes! ...sorry op just had to comment her siggy =-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)