• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone bin alsleep during a c-section before????? HELP

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 20 Replies

So my doc just called to give me the set h for my c-section. She told me my last doc sent over my files and that she saw that I had problems with the epidural. I was throwing up the whole time until my baby was out basically (i HAD A C-SECTION). So  she now wants to put me under for this one.(do u call it that? lol , she means for me to be asleep).

If u had this did it take longer to recover? I mean longer to recover so u can see ur baby? I am so sad I wont see my boy right out of my belly. I feel like I am getting cheated here. Like what the hell. I wanna see my son. And if something happens(u never know) I want to be able to say goodbye to the baby(if he dies or I die) , Yes I am a worry war. Ugh anyone done this before???

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy.of.3.boys
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My first 2 c-sections were done under general. I won't lie, it makes for a longer recovery, and it's 3 hours in recovery, as well as longer before you can see your baby.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I had a spinal block that didn't work, so I was knocked out halfway through my C-section.  I've never had anything else, so I don't know if it took longer than it otherwise would have or not.  I was not able to see/hold/nurse my babies until about 3-4 hours after they were born.  I don't know what normal time is after a C-section.

BryNRaesmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM

sounds like you had some of the same problems I did this time. I had to have my second c section with my 3rd baby. This time I could not stop throwing up and I felt like I had a 300 lb man on my chest it was hard to breath, after my baby was born and my husband and her left the room I guess I started panicking and they ended up putting me to sleep. The recovery was not any longer for me actually I recovered a lot faster this time than I did the last. I dont think it had anything to do with that. Anyway good luck!!!

Hrivera5
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I asked my mom for you  LOL.  She was put under for both of her c-sections.  She saw us about 4 hours later she said.  She said she enjoyed (as much as possible) her experience. 

strongmom40
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM

My epi didn't work & they just gave me an old fashion saddle block. I had to lay on my back for 10 hours flat but he never even mentioned knocking me out. I would tell that doc that just because it happened last time don't mean it will this time? Time for second opinion I think. This ain't the damn 50's, there is SOME kind of drug out there the doc can use & you stay awake. I would get second opinion if I were you.....

booger14
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM

i was completely asleep with my first. he was an emergency c-section at 27 weeks and had to be delivered asap.  I hated not knowing what was going to happen.I was scared and worried I would never wake up.  Since I was in bad shape, I was in the ICU,  I could not see my baby until 24 hours. 

I would say I healed pretty quick because i was up and walking the 2nd day.

Good luck to you, and try not to worry so much.

Pregnancy ticker
mrsjmomma
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I had a spinal, and I got to see her right after for about a second...then I had to wait in recovery for about an hour...so I'm not much help. BUT could you tell them that you would rather be awake...even if it means throwing up?  Not saying I would recommend it but if you really wanted to be awake and thought you could go through it again its always an option.  Last time i was put out (not for a baby) I had a bad reaction and was throwing up...that wasn't fun either.

PisceanMom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Why have they decided to put you under?  I had an epidural for my first two sections.  The first one was fine, but the second one I, too, kept throwing up.  It was awful.  I threw up in the OR, and in recovery.  For my third section they gave me a spinal.  I felt waves of nausea when they started pulling to get the baby out and my anesthesiologist just administered some kind of anti-nausea medicine through my IV.  The nausea went away and I felt good through the rest of the procedure.  So maybe that's an option for you?  Have you discussed it with your doctor?  I wouldn't want to miss seeing my baby right after she/he was born either!

ksinclair
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I'm with you, I don't think I would want to be completely under sedation.  I would see if there is possibly any other form of local anesthesia they could use.  Yep, I'm a big old worry wart like you, besides, I would want to be awake & alert and meet my baby as soon as she hit the air!!!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
LWRIGHT13
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:49 PM

My sister had to be put "under" they couldnt place her epidural. She said she was able to see her baby about 45 minutes after she had her.  I guess it would be different for everyone depending on how your body responds to the anesthesia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)