• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cold virus with a rash?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:55 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hey girls, my son just got over a horrible and long cold, and he now has a rash on his face and now his elbows.  They are tiny raised red bumps, it looks a bit like acne, some have a little bit of pus in them.  He's 18 months, by the way.  He's had it a couple of weeks.  My question is, have any of your kids broken out in rash after having a cold?  He DID also have a fever w/ his cold.  I won't have medical insurance for the next few weeks, so taking him into a doctor is really a last resort.  It doesn't seem to bother him, but I'm just wondering for you moms who've had this problem, how long it took to go away, and if there is anything that will help?  I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to copy and paste something similar from Google if I can find a good picture.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinallofthem
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:57 PM

i dont mean to frighten you, but friends of ours just had their daughter transfrred to a childrens hospital with SAME symptoms, and is being tested for high liver enzymes, possible Kawasaki disease... or virus attacking liver...

if he continues with rash and it spreads.. i would def. make the last resort trip to the hospital..

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I'm going through this right now! My son has had a cough and runny nose and then two days ago he broke out in a rash! Except his is on his upper legs and spreading to his belly, it is roundish, red, and flat. The doctor had NO CLUE what it is and told us to start him on amoxicillian tomorrow. She was honestly stumped and said it was either caused by him having the cough and runny nose (viral rash) or something he has gotten into (bacterial rash)!

peanutsmommy1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM

if they had a high fever, then broke out in a rash after the fever it sounds like roseola, fifths or hand, foot and mouth

Becky

21noahsmama21
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Thank you all for your replies.  And you know, I've seen a few women on here who've gone through it this cold/flu season, and if I remember right, their doctors also said it was part of a reaction to the virus.  My biggest fear is measles, which is rarely serious, but still cause for concern.  I don't THINK that's what it is, and he's perfectly fine now, just has this little rash that doesn't bother him at all.  It bothers me more than anything.  If it doesn't start to clear up in a couple of days, or gets worse, I'm going to take him in and spend the money.  I have another two weeks to wait for medical coverage, but I won't wait that long.

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

I'm going through this right now! My son has had a cough and runny nose and then two days ago he broke out in a rash! Except his is on his upper legs and spreading to his belly, it is roundish, red, and flat. The doctor had NO CLUE what it is and told us to start him on amoxicillian tomorrow. She was honestly stumped and said it was either caused by him having the cough and runny nose (viral rash) or something he has gotten into (bacterial rash)!

suhweet1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM

My DD had this and it went away with in a few days. The doc said it wa caused by her virus and fever 

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Yes that happenes everytime my 8 month old has a cold. The ped told me to use Aquaphor, which you buy over the counter in the lotion/vaseline section. It works great it starts getting better within hours

21noahsmama21
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I never even THOUGHT of Aquaphor, what an idiot I am!  My dad used this when he had radiation therapy for his cancer, and we use it for everything, DUH (dork slaps self in head).  Thank you all, I feel allot better.  I read and re-read all of the measles info and his rash doesn't look like the rash w/ measles at all, so I am a bit more at ease about that.  And I feel better knowing my son isn't the only one, although I feel for you mamas who go through this often.  My son doesn't generally get colds, and when he does, it's just a sniffle, but this one was a big one, and I think all of the snot runningand him whiping it all over really made the difference.  I'll go and pick up some aquaphor as soon as my DH gets home and give it a try.  Thanks girls, I knew I could count on you!

Quoting single_and_preg:

Yes that happenes everytime my 8 month old has a cold. The ped told me to use Aquaphor, which you buy over the counter in the lotion/vaseline section. It works great it starts getting better within hours

21noahsmama21
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:11 PM

That little girl is in my prayers, and scary or not, I'm glad for your information.  I'm looking up some information on it now, and will be keeping a VERY close eye on his symptoms.  I hope she is ok, and recovers soon!!! 

Quoting lovinallofthem:

i dont mean to frighten you, but friends of ours just had their daughter transfrred to a childrens hospital with SAME symptoms, and is being tested for high liver enzymes, possible Kawasaki disease... or virus attacking liver...

if he continues with rash and it spreads.. i would def. make the last resort trip to the hospital..

mami2five
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Many viral infections (especially in kids) do have rashes that later accompany them. Roseola is one that is common, if you google it you should be able to bring up pictures of it. Kids will spike a temp, and then once the temp is gone the rash breaks out. Honestly most peds would tell you to continue to monitor it at home as long as: it doesn't worsen, doesn't cause any discomfort, or itching, or a temperature doesn't persist, or reoccur. If another temp starts, or he's having any symptoms of strep throat, make sure to have him seen as soon as possible. (Maybe you could even see if a local hospital has a urgent care clinic..) Otherwise, I would just continue to keep him hydrated, and do your normal bathing and lotion routine unless it irritates the rash. Good luck Momma!

Mami2five RN

coter
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM

my 6yr old had the same symptoms and i have no medical insurance but i called his doc. and they coded it to where i only had to pay 20 bux. any way it was strep throat .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)