Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I cut my DD's hair???

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: What to do...

Options:

Cut it short and donate to locks of love.

Baby steps, Just take a little off the bottom just to get her use to the idea.

Let it grow out...

Shave her bald lol

Let her choose...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 87

View Results

Here's the deal...

She will be 5 next week and other than her bangs, I have never (NEVER) Cut her hair. Not even a trim off the bottom. She has gotten several notes from school about her playing with her hair in class and not doing her work. I have put it up in many different ways... Pony tail, pig tails Puppy ears (whats in the pic), braid, half up. etc... But she is still getting in trouble. I asked her if I need to cut it to get her to leave it alone and she said Yes I don't care. (knowing I wouldn't really do it) But I am starting to think, am I ever going to cut it? and if so how short do I go with it? Remember it is her first hair cut ever. Or should I just let it grow? What do you ladies think?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snoopy21276
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM

she is so cute.. i say trim and let her have the choice of how much to trim off!

SweetMynx19

i think that if she is going to play with her hair she is going to play with it no matter what the length is. i wouldnt cut it until she stated a definate opinion on the subject. my daugther is going to have to come to me to ask for a haircut before she gets a real one...

Desiree and Mischa
Parents to
Ava Chiara Lee
and
Expecting a baby boy in May!
mammak

I am in the same spot as you! Daisy will be 5 at the end of the month and her hair is long thick and curly...its such a painful process brushing and washing and even when its pulled back its in her food and it just ugh ugh is all I can say! I had the same issues as a kid so I know how bad it can suck.  I am think of cutting her hair and donating it as well. I hey it will grow back. I want to do it next month before summer and long before school so it can start to grow back. Here's Daisy, whe its down it falls to the middle of her butt.... 

mirandar2001
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM

The teachers in my daughter's school have told me I must put her hair up, because they are afraid of her getting it caught or lice. She refuses to cut it. (I did trim 2 inches off a few months ago)

MandiK
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I'd let her choose. Just take her to a salon and ask how much she wants cut off.

mom-lovingit
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Even for the health of the hair you should cut it and to get her used to it.  Let her decide what style/how much to cut so she doesn't have associate a bad experience with cutting her hair.

suhweet1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I'd get it cut like this and donate to locks of love 

AzaleaCheerMom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I'd say let her choose, she's old enough. And if she doesn't like it, it grows back. But at least get the ends trimmed. No matter what the hairstyle is, she's probably always going to play with it.

I love her bangs.

Mommy2_two
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM

My oldest got her first haircut at age 3 b/c after she would go to the bathroom she would come out and her hair would be tucked into her pants. LOL!

I would tell her if she gets in trouble one more time it will be cut.

bethandbabies26
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM

I personally would trim it up to clean up the ends...and then leave the big decision up to her. My daughter is 2 1/2 and I've had her hair in a bob for the past year and a half because she won't let me pin it up or put a rubber band in it...but recently she's been asking for pony tails and barrets, so I asked if she wanted long hair and she keeps telling me yes...so we made a deal, she can have long hair if I'm allowed to keep it out of her eyes! Compromise goes a long way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)