Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot dog?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

At what age can a child have hot dogs?  I thought I heard a age restriction and was wondering about this.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Besides being stuffed full on chemicals and nitrates, they are a choking hazard. You have to cut them into halved or quartered pieces.

Mover
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I used to give my dd hot dogs when she was eating finger foods. I cut it up into small pieces tho.

Riahsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM

My best friend is a nurse and she told me that they are very easy for kids to choke on but I don't know exactly what age they can have them.  How old is your lo?  I'll tell you a pretty good chicken nugget recipe though=)

• cut up chicken breast into nuggets
  •  dip in either yogurt or an egg
  • dredge in crushed cereal
  • and bake at 350 until crisp and brown

My dd LOVES these and they are so much better for them than hotdogs=), good luck mama!

mama2alex08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Hes 13 months

Quoting Riahsmom1:

My best friend is a nurse and she told me that they are very easy for kids to choke on but I don't know exactly what age they can have them.  How old is your lo?  I'll tell you a pretty good chicken nugget recipe though=)

•  dip in either yogurt or an egg

My dd LOVES these and they are so much better for them than hotdogs=), good luck mama!

aarkat
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM

we only eat hot dogs that are nitrate free.  i figure that if regular hot dogs are dangerous enough to tell pregnant women to avoid them completely, i probably shouldn't be feeding them to my children or eating them myself.

gobimom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:26 PM

From a nurses stand point I think 13 months is way too young....I would say more like 3-4 yrs. old and then only with supervision.  I had a patient who was 6 choke on a hot dog and die - it does happen. 

jacy3031
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM

This is a great idea!

Quoting Riahsmom1:

My best friend is a nurse and she told me that they are very easy for kids to choke on but I don't know exactly what age they can have them. How old is your lo? I'll tell you a pretty good chicken nugget recipe though=)

• dip in either yogurt or an egg

LaciR
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM

My kids have been eating them since about 11 mos. But they were completely off formula and on table food by then. I cut them up pretty small until they were about 3 yrs old.

Riahsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Quoting jacy3031:

This is a great idea!

Quoting Riahsmom1:

My best friend is a nurse and she told me that they are very easy for kids to choke on but I don't know exactly what age they can have them. How old is your lo? I'll tell you a pretty good chicken nugget recipe though=)

• dip in either yogurt or an egg

They are so healthy and kids LOVE them=)  Try using organic ingredients and they're even better=) 

Here's a website:

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/

farm_mom03
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I have been feeding my son hotdogs since he was like 11 months or so nad haver never had a problem.  just watch him and u will be fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)