Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Poll* Should a married woman wait until she is legally divorced?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM
  • 38 Replies

Poll

Question: Should a woman wait until she is legally divorced to start seeing someone else, no matter how long the separation may be?

Options:

yes. a married woman is a married woman no matter what.

no. if she is no longer with the man, she can do what she pleases.

other... what's a poll without an other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 150

View Results

Ok.. The reason i ask is because i know some people think that while you are married.. but separated, you shouldn't be able to date or sleep with anyone. Me and my husband broke up almost a year ago and are getting a divorce. the reason we haven't yet is bc of money issues. Even though we are no longer together emotionally, physically, nothing, is it wrong to start seeing someone else? I'm legally married, yes. But, should i be able to do what i want seeing as how i am no longer with him?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelizedsinz
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I think u should. The marriage itself is over n the legalities just have to be taken care of. IMO, the marriage wasn't the piece of paper, bt ur relationship. Once u both decide that's over, ur free.

Missyin love

Optimism is a choice....cynicism isn't smarter, just safer.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Personally, I think it is wrong.  I think that all doors should be closed before opening any more.  I think it goes both ways, though.  For the mand and the woman.  I think it just makes things cleaner.

RaynesMommy07
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I dnt think u should have to wait.  You're not in a relationship with that person, only on paper does it even exist.  I think once you are out of any relationship fully, then you are single.  IMO 

W13sgirl

At this point, your marriage is ONLY a piece of paper. I was in this situation, waiting for the loser to cough up some money to pay for half, and decided that I would do what I wanted in the meantime. I dont think  that makes me a "bad "person, and it wont make you one either, but I am in no way religious at all, and I can see some people having a problem with it that way..

Izayahsmom

I agree. If there are no attachments whatsoever, then so be it. Date other people. I think that its more common now that people are separated than divorced because it is so expensive. I know that my 1st divorce(I was young and dumb..blah blah) was expensive and we didn't even have any kids or anything like that.

Go for it! Have fun!

*Izayah's Mom*
Free Blinkies
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
angelicvengence
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:57 PM

jmo but if you're married its just best to wait.  i'm going thru a similar situation only he's already found someone else (the reason we're getting divorced) i refuse to think about looking for someone new because i won't give him any ammunition against me especially since we have a baby in the picture as well.

My baby girl is so perfect!baby girl

ldw5108a

You know my hubby and I had this conversation the other day my sister is seperated from her hubby and she's been dating this other guy and my hubby thinks it's wrong but i don't see the problemlong as they are getting a divorce who care's?

Phenomemom

Agree! Well said.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Personally, I think it is wrong.  I think that all doors should be closed before opening any more.  I think it goes both ways, though.  For the mand and the woman.  I think it just makes things cleaner.

momcat437

Yes, I think you should be legally divorced before you start another relationship--you never know when it can come back and bite you on the butt, especially if there are kids involved! 

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

ashley_c0421
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM

i am the exact same way. non-religious and our relationship is just on paper. we broke up almost a year ago. i feel like i should be able to do what i want.

Quoting W13sgirl:

At this point, your marriage is ONLY a piece of paper. I was in this situation, waiting for the loser to cough up some money to pay for half, and decided that I would do what I wanted in the meantime. I dont think  that makes me a "bad "person, and it wont make you one either, but I am in no way religious at all, and I can see some people having a problem with it that way..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)