• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He was left on the bus without food, water, or a restroom

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

He was left on the bus without food, water, or a restroom

Posted: April 7, 2009 04:43 PM

Updated: April 8, 2009 02:35 PM

Only On 7 Links
Big Red Box

If you saw it on TV, you'll find it here.
Live Stream

Interact and watch the live stream from the East Texas Newsroom!
News Tips

Have a news tip or story idea? Let us know!
See It. Snap It . Send It.

News can happen anytime, anywhere. If you See It you can Snap It and then Send It (pictures or video) to KLTV.
UFO Sightings

Check out our UFO stories. Send us your stories!

By Lakecia Shockley - bio | email
Posted by Ellen Krafve - email

SPRING HILL, TX (KLTV) - Two East Texas parents are outraged, after learning their special needs 4-year-old son was left on a Spring Hill ISD school bus in their bus barn for the entire day.

"I put my son on the bus trusting the driver to take him off," said Shermane Persley, the boy's father. "It's not that hard to do!"

Persley is still in shock that a bus driver left his young son, Shermane Jr, on the school bus after parking it in the bus barn.

"She said, 'He never made it to school. I forgot to get him off the bus,'" said Persley. "He's been sitting on the bus at the bus barn all day. The driver apologized but what's that? My son [has] been on the bus seven or eight hours in the same clothes, [with] no restroom, food, [or] water. Come to find they even moved the bus at the bus barn and they still didn't see him!"

So, how could the bus driver not see him? More importantly, why didn't the driver follow school procedures, by double checking the entire bus before leaving?

"Sometimes young kids like this fall asleep which is what was the case and the bus driver is to check that to make sure," said Wes Jones, SISD superintendent. "She did not see him. I don't know how far she walked back or if she did walk back. He was on the bus some time...and unattended is too long and that's not acceptable."

Not acceptable for the school and definitely not for Shermane's parents who say their son wet his pants on the bus because he had no restroom to use.

"I'm pretty sure he did it three or four times maybe and had to sit in it and it was already cold," exclaimed Persley. "A 4-year-old going through all of that! He was probably crying. I'm pretty sure he was crying. You let me leave him five or ten minutes and run in Wal-mart. What's going to happen to me when I come out? I would have been locked up last night!"

As for the bus driver, the district says disciplinary action will be taken, but the Persley's say bus drivers need to be more aware.

"That's what it all boils down to: just rushing," said Persley. "If you don't have time to do your job stay home."

"She didn't want this to happen and we didn't want this to happen and we want to make sure that we take care of this and make sure it doesn't happen again," said Jones.

The Spring Hill ISD says they are working on putting in another measure that would require bus drivers to manually check the bus and actually flip a switch that would say empty or full. As for Shermane Jr's parents they say he will not be riding the bus anymore.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Justine1123
by Justine on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Thats sad.. and kids deserve better.. someone just doing a shitty job at work and being lazy

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

rebabeach2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I would be screaming for someone's head. That is insane. That superintendent didn't even know whether the driver checked all the seats - that shows you how important he felt it was to follow up on this issue. Sad. 

ciejsgirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Too bad they didn't have a camera on that bus.   Then they could tell if she actually checked or not.  Poor little guy.  =(  I'm just glad he is ok now.

Jackie06
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM

It is sad! We have bus monitors who are also responsible for checking.

Quoting ciejsgirl:

Too bad they didn't have a camera on that bus.   Then they could tell if she actually checked or not.  Poor little guy.  =(  I'm just glad he is ok now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)