• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you have or had a ganglion cyst

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

can you go and get it removed or do you have to let your doctor say you have to remove it, it does not hurt but it is stupid looking, lol, it is on my wrist, funny how i got this right after i had my daughter and was hooked to ivs and such, but yeah i have one on my right wrist, i am going to show the doc, but i have a feeling since it is not hurting me, he is going to not do anything about it, but i want it gone.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kiddycat73
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I had one...I got it right after I had my son...the Dr did nothing till I told him that it was hurting me (really it was just kind of annoying), then he first tried to drain it with a big needle, but it came right back so I had it surgically removed. I had to be put completely to sleep for the surgery, and my hand was completely out of commission for about 3 weeks. I wouldnt recommend the surgery if it doesnt really hurt you. Sometimes they just go away on their own.

PisceanMom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I've never had one, but my sister had one on the palm of her hand when she was a teenager.  I'm not sure what causes them.  Anyway, our family doctor removed it right there in his office.  To my knowledge he removed it right away; never suggesting she just live with it.

LukesMommy912
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I'm going to school for medical assisting and we were JUST talking about this in class last night lol. From what the teacher said they will not remove it unless it is causing you pain. And I guess the way they remove it is stick a needle in it to pop it. A lady in class was going to have hers removed, found out how they do it, and refused. Within a few days it just disappeared all on its own. Hers was also on her wrist.

Good luck!

My son is 2 years old and weighs 28 pounds. He is still rearfacing in the First Years True Fit Convertible Carseat!

Questions? Join the Carseat Safety group on CafeMom!

itssweetness
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I have one on my wrist, too.  I was going to have it removed but then they said the same thing to me as this post so I decided not to.  It's just a small bump and not really noticeable soooo.....

Quoting kiddycat73:

I had one...I got it right after I had my son...the Dr did nothing till I told him that it was hurting me (really it was just kind of annoying), then he first tried to drain it with a big needle, but it came right back so I had it surgically removed. I had to be put completely to sleep for the surgery, and my hand was completely out of commission for about 3 weeks. I wouldnt recommend the surgery if it doesnt really hurt you. Sometimes they just go away on their own.

itssweetness

Kylas1mom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I get them every now and then but mine hurt.  I cant move my wrist very much when they get bad.  My dr told me to hit it with a book.  He said its just built up fluid and if I let someone hit my wrist with a book it should take care of it, if not the dr can set up a day to have it removed.  The book thing has worked for me, and I think dh likes being able to help, lol!

luvmybaby430
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM

interesting, i am so going to do the book thing, thanks much.

Quoting Kylas1mom:

I get them every now and then but mine hurt.  I cant move my wrist very much when they get bad.  My dr told me to hit it with a book.  He said its just built up fluid and if I let someone hit my wrist with a book it should take care of it, if not the dr can set up a day to have it removed.  The book thing has worked for me, and I think dh likes being able to help, lol!

Kylas1mom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM

You're welcome.  I will warn you that it will hurt but it has worked for me!

Quoting luvmybaby430:

interesting, i am so going to do the book thing, thanks much.

Quoting Kylas1mom:

Dawn4175
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I have them in both wrists, but they don't bother me, so I don't bother them.  :o)

mom22tumblebugs
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Me too, but it had nothing to do with kids. I used to press around on it until it burst, but it would come back. Then had it drained twice with a big needle, again came back. So then I had it surgically removed and now I have a 2 inch scar on the top of my wrist. It started coming back again even after surgery, but I pressed around some more, felt a burst, and it hasn't since.

Some people have had someone hit it with a big hardcover book to try to break it... sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Quoting kiddycat73:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)