• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am in tears....

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son asked me today if he could call me Becca

He is only 4!!!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ciejsgirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:11 PM

WOW!!  I don't even know what to say.  I'm sorry.

vallhk
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM

aww,  all of my kids have asked me if they could call me by my name at one point or other.  I just explain to them that I am their mom and thats what they should call me.  I don't know what it is with that age but they start to question every thing.

Photobucket
PROUD MOM TO CHELSEA, CIERA, SAVANNAH, HUNTER AND ZACHARY, PROUD WIFE TO SCOTT.
ChristineSellsT
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM

He's just testing you......tell him not unless he can cook his own dinner and drive himself around......make him think about it.

Mom2twinsinOH
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Awww Momma don't be sad. He's heard everyone else call you that for the last four years, it's only natural for him to want to call you what everyone else does.

Sit down and explain to him that you are his Mom, and he's lucky that he's special and gets to cally you Mommy when no one else does, so "no" he cannot call you Becca. If you let him see you upset about it, he will know that's a button he can push later!!

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I think it's cute!  Now you have to kiss him half to death, just to prove that he's still your baby.  A big kid (especially a BOY) wouldn't let you!

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM

My daughters' occasionally call me by my first name, at first it was because that is how they always heard everyone else refer to me and now it is for attention.

bbgirls5
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM

LOL....you think he has hurt your feelings now, just wait until you have a tween!

Remmie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I honestly do not think he is testing you...lol

I think he hears everyone else call you by your name and just wants to be a part of it.

I would just explain to him that a mommy is very special and not everyone can call you mommy....that is saved especially for him!

stevi3905
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Yeah my two year old called me by my name instead of mommy from the time that she could talked. She is just now getting to the point where she calls me mommy. 

"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." -George Bernard Shaw

"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" -Sydney Harris

"Some men storm imaginary Alps all their loves and die in the foothills cursing difficulties which do not exist." -Edgar Watson Howe

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.
Marcus Aurelius

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.
Robert A. Heinlein

Petty laws breed great crimes. – Ouida

Afterlife is no less implausible than anything else. All explanations of existence are equally incredible.-Spenser, Robert B. Parker

dastle
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM

when my oldest was 4 she started calling me by my 1st name.  It took me about 6 mos of ignoring her until she called me mom for her to stop completely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)