Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I walk away?!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

OK, So today I had to take my 10 month old DD to the Pediatrician because she had a double ear infection. I'm not stupid...I know It is my fault :(  Because I keep giving her and my DS ( twins) a night time bottle.  I know ..I know.. I shouldn't! However, In my defense they don't sleep through the night and I'm exhausted!!.My DD is the one who doesn't sleep through the night , my DS will wake up and as long as he can find his pacifier he's good but my DD doesn't like the pacifier, she wants her bottle. Well, because I have more then one, and I know I was stupid and wrong, but I would prop my babies up on their Boppy pillow and give them a bottle each, then they would fall asleep with it and let me sleep. My DD however, would get up and crawl around her crib and then while laying flat on her back start drinking her bottle...thus..her ear infections. Like I said I take complete responsibility and fault for this. Now, I am just going to take the bottle away completely at night. They don't need those extra calories at night so I was told. My Ped, is right., It just hurts me to hear her cry. So tonight I have to separate my kids, I am taking y DS's crib out of the nursery and put  it in another room so if my DD cries all night she won't wake him. Now...this is where I need help.... how do I not go in there and feed her? How can I get through this? During the day they use sippy cups and only for bedtime, or nap time do they get bottles. Which I'm going to take away by next month! I need help, and encouragement. I know it's for her own good..I know that. I just know it's going to be heartbreaking because she has 2 pink eyes and ear infection in both ears! Please someone give me some advice! How did you do it???????How do I get her to sleep through the night?????

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ECMOM970
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I have 2 children and they both had bottles at bed time and never had ear infections! I would have done the same thing but if they are having issues with ears then as hard as it is you are just going to have to let them cry it out - it is good for them to cry and self comfort as well. Good Luck mommy :)

justinejoy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Sounds like you are starting at the very beginning.. I would suggest getting some books.  Either check them out at your library, or go buy some.  Super Nanny has some great books - there is also another good one, its called Healthy sleep habits happy child or something like that.. Good luck!!! 

Tonight I might take it easy and rock her to sleep or something.  Leave her brother in there maybe too, she is sick tonight, I personally give my babies extra lovins when their sick, not a good time to start any sort of new routine. 

Justine butterfly on head  

justinejoy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM

If you use the CIO method, please please please research and read how to do it properly!  Its not just putting your baby in bed and leaving them to cry all night.  It does work wonders if used properly though. 

Quoting ECMOM970:

I have 2 children and they both had bottles at bed time and never had ear infections! I would have done the same thing but if they are having issues with ears then as hard as it is you are just going to have to let them cry it out - it is good for them to cry and self comfort as well. Good Luck mommy :)

Justine butterfly on head  

WildKat
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I would water the bottle down more and more each night... eventually she'll start getting use to it not being "calories" and sleep through that feeding.

Peace,

Kat

lollipopcat
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Personally, I wouldn't take her bottle away tonight. She's sick and needs all the comfort she can get. I would however not leave her in there with her bottle. i think you need to just suck it up and stay up with her while she finishes her bottle or falls asleep and then not leave the bottle.  Then when she feels better, I'd keep with the bottle for a bit, but put only water in it. SHe may not even wake up for it after awhile if it's just water and not yummy goodness.

baby

BABYMAKINGMAMA
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM

That is what I'm afraid of! I can't wrap my mind around letting them cry and cry until they fall asleep. Trust me I want what's best for them I just feel so torn. I will definitely comfort her tonight , and as for letting her cry, I'm almost thinking about going in there and rocking her to sleep again.??Could that be a bad idea? I don't want her to think everytime she cries I will go running in there. Ugh...!!!

LWRIGHT13
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM

My kids have alwyas been great sleepers but on the occasion when they do have trouble sleeping throught the night I just go in pat their little butts and make the shhshhshh sound.It always worked well for my little ones. Also dont beat yourself up about the ear infections my kids never had crib bottles but they still got the occasional ear infection. Heck my DS had to ahve tubes!!  You can do this I suggest doing some research on CIO (it worked wonders for my nieces) Good luck and hang tough momma!!

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:01 PM

How old is your DD? We had trouble getting my DS to sleep when he was younger. I used to take him out of his crib, rock him and give him a bottle until he fell back asleep. It was a pain doing it every night and was finally tired of it. I started out by letting him cry for 5 minutes. Then, I went in and comforted him. Then, I waited 10 minutes and did the same thing. I increased the time by 5 minutes each time I went into the room. The first night he cried for about an hour and it slowly was less and less time. In about 3 nights he had learned to put himself back to sleep. If you truly know she isn't hungry, then I would try doing that. If she is waking up hungry, then maybe you can give her a bottle or snack right before you put her to bed.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
LEJOLIE
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM

for about 2 weeks now we are sippy cup in the day and 7 ounce water 1 ounce juice or better yet i think its less ,asplash is all at night that is turning up almost full the next morning. My son stopped drinking milk a few months ago but wanted his bottles w/juice. of course this will eventually destroy teeth. So he knows now if he wants a bottle its yucky and slowly he is getting over the whole bottle thing.  

BABYMAKINGMAMA
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM

My twins DS and DD are 10 months old. I think I will try that, and hopefully it will work!  I'm also going to try the water in the bottle thing. This is all great suggestions and comments!! Thanks. You all have no idea how much this is helping!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)