Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

WIC Mommies PLEASE Read (and bump if you don't answer)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM
  • 321 Replies
1 mom liked this

The WIC post for me thinking... I used to be in politics before I was a mommy and I am a good writer (lousy typist, though, loll) and I am going to put together a letter to send to the President and the Surgeon General regarding how much WIC sucks. And then I am going to send it to my local reps, the governor, head of health and welfare, and so on... And then post it here and other mommies can sign their names and send it to their own reps via email...

so in order to do it and do it right... please tell me what you like about WIC and please tell me what changes you think need to be made to make a WIC a more effective ahd helpful program.

In the meantime, i am going to research some stuff.. like how much money is spent per mother or child on WIC per year... and then once I check out all OUR responses the plan I put together will (hopefully) include ways to make WIC more cost effective for the government. I will run all this by my political lobbyist friends... and get everything just perfect...

babys-first-easter01.gif  babys-second-easter1.gif

Stefanie~ Mom to Irish Twins Liam (7/07) and Molly (06/08)
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lisa_729
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I think that they need to cut down on the wait time for appointments.  Where I am right now, I have to wait anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to meet with the WIC person for 10 minutes and then wait another 30 to 60 minutes to get my WIC checks.  And that is regardless of showing up a little early or one time like they ask. 

And I've only had this happen to me at one WIC office when my DD was a baby, they kept telling me she was too small and it would get me all worked up (DD was my first) and I would call the pediatrician's office after the appointment and the pediatrician would tell me that she is fine, just tall and slender.

_MOMMY_
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM

i think that depends where your office is. my wic office gets me in as soon as i walk in the door even if i get there early/late

Quoting Lisa_729:

I think that they need to cut down on the wait time for appointments.  Where I am right now, I have to wait anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to meet with the WIC person for 10 minutes and then wait another 30 to 60 minutes to get my WIC checks.  And that is regardless of showing up a little early or one time like they ask. 

And I've only had this happen to me at one WIC office when my DD was a baby, they kept telling me she was too small and it would get me all worked up (DD was my first) and I would call the pediatrician's office after the appointment and the pediatrician would tell me that she is fine, just tall and slender.

Butterfly07Mama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I had no problem with wic until i moved to weld county colorado,They changed counslers on me 2-3 times and then/now im stuck with this lady who didnt  get along with my from the beginnning. I had to change numbers and i let her know i gave it to her a few times i mean she even called me back on it once or twice,anyways my old number was still on so my mom put a recordingin on it that said this number is no longer in service cause she had the phone in her possession and put up. Well when i went to an app. a few months ago she proceeds to tell me that she stayed one night and called it and found out it was a recording,now i bite my tongue but i so wanted to go off on her.I mean really lady comon i gave it to you you called me back on it....so im stuck with her but im half tempted to tell her i dont need wic anymore i can get by with my foodstamps,other then that wic has been good through and through.oh also when i first got her i had to call 4,5 times so yes i ended up leaving a rude message to get her to call me back which was bad on my part she said she was gonna report it to a supervisor and have them listen to it and i had to sign a paper stating i know what i did but it never happend and even if it did at this point i really wouldnt have cared. 

I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kid.

mom2ljh
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM
8 moms liked this

I wasn't aware WIC sucks.  I think the main change that needs to take place isn't something the government has any control over.  They can't make people be grateful for the supplemental food they receive.  I think WIC is a wonderful program in theory and, the changes I feel it should undergo, I shall keep to myself.

sunshine21pa
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

bump 

kiario08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

The hastle of trying to get some of the items listed on the checks at grocery sotres. Not all the stores have everthing labled for WIC.

katelynsmom22
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

our WIC program is great. And changes are being made this year, At least in illinois they are.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Snowbug925
2 moms liked this

I think WIC is great!  I have no wait times, agreeable ladies to talk too, I appreicate the financial assistance in the form of checks that they give us.... i'm not complaining at all.

alliet08

I don't think this is something anyone would be able to help. But at my old office in Illinois this one lady who checked me in was always a bitch. I have the right not to be treated like shit because I need help from the government. It doesn't make me any less of a mom. She was always very rude to me. That's about it.=/ Sorry if that isn't helpful.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker

MzSeXyC
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM
2 moms liked this

i think WIC is a great program...i dont think anything needs to be changed, except for adding more foods to their approved foods list. they are adding a few things here in October..im pretty sure it should be nationwide lol all the same changes ya know? but i could be wrong.

i just know that WIC wants to harp on parents about good nutrition...but i dont think they provide enough foods for that honestly.

plus they put restrictions on their approved food list..which i dont feel is right. like with the peanut butter..they wont let you get fat free or reduced fat peanut butter or any organic peanut butters..its the same way with the milk..although you can get reduced fat or fat free..you cant get soy or organic. the cheese is the same way. i just feel its kinda messed up that parents are forced to get certain things for their child...if they dont want them having that. i just dont see what the problem is with letting them get reduced fat peanut butter or soy milk lol.

maybe im wrong for thinking that? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)