• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another post sparked my curiosity.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you earn (or your spouse/SO) the minimum wage for your state and draw some form of PA.

Options:

Do you earn minimum wage for your state and receive any form of PA

Do you earn $1-10 above the minimum wage for your state, and receive some form of PA?

Do you earn more than $1-10 over your state minimum wage and do not receive any form of PA.

Do you make $15 or more above the minimum wage for your state?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

The post is the "Minimum Wage" post.

There are seems to be quite a few families who either make minimum wage or $1-5 dollars above minium wage.

So here's my question.

How many families making minimum wage or just above recieve some form of assistance? Any form of assistance, whether it be: WIC, FS, Medicaid, Housing assistance... Whatever...........

My reason for asking is NOT to start a PA bash fest.. 

Here's why I want to know..

The majority of job growth in this country for nearly a decade has been in : service industry, healthcare & government (ie military).  And the majority of those jobs are minimum wage or just above minimum wage jobs..

Most people, it is starting to seem to me, who work these jobs can not make ends meet without some form of assistance.

IF that is true, then it shows that what Americans need is living wage paying jobs in this country, in order to get the American people on their feet and earn a lwage than can support them and their families. 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spoiled_wife
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM

We fall into the $15 or above catergory.

Neither my husband or I have ever worked a minimum wage paying job.

katzmeow726
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM

DH earns a little over a dollar more than our state min wage and we struggle.  Hopefully once he gets his raise we'll do a little better.   Just a few more months!!

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
AmberDR
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I don't know what the min is for my state, and we are not on PA (though it sure would help right now)....but I wanted to give you a bump and say that my dd's name is Laila.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Before my husband lost his job on March 1st we were in the $15 and above category, now on unemployment, which is only 1/3 of his pay we fall into the $1-10 above range, it's been a hard hit and we do get food stamps and medical assistance for our children.

spoiled_wife
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM

BUMP

I'm finding the numbers interesting.......

People in this country need to start demanding living wage paying jobs.

People in this country need to demand that m\ultinationals quit getting monetary incentives from the government to offshore, outsource, and insource good paying jobs

styler7
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM

My husband is military. I'd love to get some food stamps..lol, unfortunately I don't even qualify for WIC.

graciejoe
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM

DH makes about double minimum wage and we are not on PA.

dragonfly24
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Both DH and I make about 3 dollars an hour over our states min, wage. We qualify for assistance but I haven't taken it yet. I have worked min wage before and its not easy. I have an associates degree now and haven't been able to get back into college to finish but it doesnt help me even now. I won't look for another job since I have senority where im at and when it comes to lay-offs the newbies go first. I may not have a great paying job but it is a job and until things look a little more stable in the economy im staying put.

TIA(31)  DH(38) T-MAN (10) T-BONE (5) LAYLA BUG 08-25-2008!!!!

lizmarie1975
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I'm salaried and don't get paid by the hour.

SO receives a check every month for advertising  on his website.

Neither of us have ever received public assistance.

katzmeow726
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM

We're movign in with my parents for a couple of months to save some money then getting a 2b apartment.  At that point we're going to apply for food stamps, but the kids already have medicaid (thankfully).  I'm gonna do the SAHM mom thing and head back to school full time while we're on stamps.  I've only got like 2 and a half years left till I graduate so its only a temporary thing.  Besides if I worked, we'd never be able to afford child care.  DH works different shifts every other week (I tried to find a job that would work with that...after 2 months I gave up). 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Before my husband lost his job on March 1st we were in the $15 and above category, now on unemployment, which is only 1/3 of his pay we fall into the $1-10 above range, it's been a hard hit and we do get food stamps and medical assistance for our children.

pregnancy week by week

pregnancy calendar
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)