Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighbor keeps stealing my little boy's cat

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

My almost 3 year old has a cat that he absolutely loves.  She is an indoor/outdoor cat, she runs outside as soon as the door is open, hangs out around the neighborhood sunning herself and playing with the other neighborhood cats, and comes back in the evenings to be let in so she can play with my kids, eat, and sleep on the couch.  Well, a few weeks ago she disappeared so I put ads up for her everywhere.  A couple days later I get an email from a woman who lives two doors down from me saying she has my son's cat and will return it.  We end up getting our cat back, but now almost every time she goes outside, this woman locks her inside her house, feeds her god knows what (every time she finally does give her back again she's lethargic and has diarrhea), and I have to either email her or send my husband to go get the cat.  The woman has even renamed her Muffin, which pisses me off because she KNOWS the cat is not a stray, although that should have been obvious the first time she saw her considering she had a collar on with a tag.  She disappeared again a couple days ago, so I emailed her (it was late at night, so I wasn't about to go over there) I get this really rude email back from her accusing me of starving the cat, telling me I don't pay attention to her, and that she most likely has worms.  I just had her treated for worms, she does not have worms nor is she starving, she has food here, two dishes, to be exact, one that's on my back porch and the other in the house.  It's full of food.  This woman is completely nuts.  I went over there yesterday with my husband and our two toddlers to get our cat back and they had her locked in a room in their house.  The cat ran off after the woman retrieved her, so we said we'd just come back for her later that afternoon.  Well, they must have found her and locked her back up in their house again because we couldn't find her anywhere and they refused to answer their door the three times we went to go get her.  I am so sick of it.  I can't go over there every single time she decides to kidnap my son's cat, I have two toddlers and I'm not about to drag them down there in the shitty weather to go get her because this woman wants to play games with me.  If my husband were home during the day, sure, I'd leave the boys with him and go get her, but he's not.  Is there anything I can do legally to this woman to get her to stop stealing my son's cat?  He is always completely broken hearted when she can't be home to sleep with him.  I have tried keeping her indoors, but unfortunately, we're not always quick enough when going out the door to keep her inside, and on those occasions, that's when this neighbor snatches her.

baby

baby

Pregnancy ticker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Can you file a report with the police?

Where mothers can get together, discuss and debate anything.

Radical Debate

Butterfly07Mama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Im not sure i would ask you vet im sure he might have an idea or two to either help keep her in or if you can do something legal about this  good luck hope you figure it out

I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kid.

MrsCarlet
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I would talk to the police and let them know what she is doing, maybe they can talk to her.  I feel so sorry for your little boy. 

MrsCarletchangingsig1.gif picture by MrsCarlet

ChaoticSoul
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I would call the local police department...Or kick the shit out of her...But, I recommend calling the PD first. That is absolute bullshit.

FDNYwife
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Id call the police and ask her. I also have a cat door so the cat can come and go and she pleases which I think she likes best.  I do this for her.  If you have a tag thats awesome.  Then if shes missing tell the police she has her and they can go see?  Its hard because I dont know what the deal is if shes roaming on their property.  I would also get her microchipped so you can prove shes yours.  Your neighbor sounds like a wacko!  Id tell her shes not allowed in your house!

ddwin
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Unfortunately...an outside cat is an outside cat and vunerable to everything, be it cars, wild animals or crazy neighbors. Not sure what else to tell you (hope I'm not coming off as rude). If it were me, I'd do my best to keep her inside your home...where you know she's safe. I know it can be tough, but otherwise there's not much else that can be done.

Siggy
OkieGirlKatrina
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Do you have her microchipped with your information??  That way you can call the police and have them investigate it and have PROOF its your cat.  If the cat is not microchipped I would highly suggest doing so as soon as you get her back.  Be sure to call the police and file a theft report on her.  Maybe she will STOP if you get the cops after her.

Shylie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Do you have kitty microchipped? Do that, and next time the cat disappears, call animal control and send them to pick the cat up from her house. All they have to do is scan it to know it's not her cat. Ask them while you're at it if there's anything else can be done about her. That would frankly tick me off.

We had a neighbor who gave us their cat and after we got shots and food and all that, decided they'd take her back. My girls were way upset. Damn neighbors.

sapphiresoda
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I guess that's what I'll be doing, calling the police department's main number and seeing what, if anything they can do.  The thing about the tag, when I saw her yesterday, her collar had mysteriously disappeared, along with the tag.  I had an appointment for her last week to get microchipped and the woman had her locked in her house again and wouldn't answer the door, so we missed our appointment, but believe me, as soon as my husband gets home tonight I'm having him go over there and ripping her a new one.

Quoting FDNYwife:

Id call the police and ask her. I also have a cat door so the cat can come and go and she pleases which I think she likes best.  I do this for her.  If you have a tag thats awesome.  Then if shes missing tell the police she has her and they can go see?  Its hard because I dont know what the deal is if shes roaming on their property.  I would also get her microchipped so you can prove shes yours.  Your neighbor sounds like a wacko!  Id tell her shes not allowed in your house!

baby

baby

Pregnancy ticker
imamombygrace
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I would make him a permanent inside cats.  Where we live it's a lot safer for our two cats to be indoor at all times.  We do have a big screened in back porch and that's where we let them out at.  They have things from different pet magazines that have outdoor play enclosures for cats. 

I had a neighbor when I was about 19 and lived on my own in a apartment that stole my cat.  Had tags and everything. He accidentally got out when I was taking the trash out.  I couldn't find him for days until I seen him in her window on the second floor!  I went up there to get my cat back...she had the nerve to tell me he was sent from Heaven to her b/c her old room mate kept her beloved cat when she moved out.  She kept saying Fluff the stuff was sent by God to her.  She was a total nut and had to keep him inside until I moved.  Not sure if you can file a police report or not..maybe you can just try making him a all around indoor cat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)