• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is it such a bad thing that I would rather stay home with my kids then work to pay the daycare?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:57 PM
  • 69 Replies

My mom had me very upset today because I told her that when the baby is born I will be paying daycare $1000 a month and I am only going to make (fresh outta school, haven't started my job yet) around $1300 a month so after I pay the daycare I'll be bringing home about $300 a month.  Does this make sense?  I don't think so.  So I told her I might look into just babysitting out of my home for awhile to make some money and she went off saying that I'm wasting my life away, I'll never get a job if I don't get one fresh out of school, why would I rather stay home then work, etc, etc.  It went on and on about how my life (because of the new baby) is forever ruined.  

Do you see the point in working just to pay almost all of the money to daycare or would you, like myself, consider other options like staying home and babysitting?  Am I ruining my life by being a stay at home mom? 

The reason I know about how much I'll be making even though I haven't actually started working is because I'm interning now and my intern site told me what I will be making. 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamissy316
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:59 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Even if you could make more money working, and you chose to stay at home, it is a perfectly respectable decision.  Unfortunately, not everyone understands this. 

Jerseymom1228
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM

It's not wrong at all to not want to pay daycare and stay home. That's what I do. If I went back to work everything I make would go to daycare so what is the point?  I agree with you 100%; it makes no sense to go to work and not even come home with a paycheck. 

livingonmyknees
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM

No I do not see the point of working outside the home if it is financially possible to stay home. Why would I pay some to raise my child for me? The most important "job" in the world is to be a mother.

Shylie
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Well and, no one adds in the cost of eating out or packing lunches, cost of clothes and gas for work, and all the extras that float in there. So really staying home with little ones if possible is, in the long run, cheaper. That was always my argument too.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM

The same reason why SAHM's think it's bad that working parents place their kids in daycare..

Who cares what other people think?  You gotta do what's best for you!  I've been bashed because i'm an single working mom.  I have no choice but place my kid in daycare!  :)

Brooke501
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM

There is nothing wrong with it at all! I would be sure to try and get a mommies only day just to help keep your wits aobut you.

tln1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM

While I agree it is pointless to work just to pay for the daycare. I also dont understand the point of going to school and spending all kinds of money one that just so you can stay at home.

My bff's parents paid for her to go to a really good school to be a teacher. Well when bff said that when she got married and had kids she would probably stay home with them. At least until they start school. BFF's mom didn't like that because she felt like it was a waist of her money to send her to school.

CaeliMommyUSMC
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I agree.  I was working in a daycare and my kids went with.  I was only getting paid 7.25 an hour but I barely got charged for my kids to be there.  I just lost my job over a month ago and I want to go back to work but I will only get minimum and my whole paycheck would go to daycare so its not worth it!  Its kinda funny bc the night before I lost my job my husband was talking about me quiting there.  The employees get treated like crap and the owner shorts us hours on our paychecks.

Free BlinkiesFree Blinkies

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Carb Counter
mjbw
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM

trust me i know how you feel i am a stay at home mom to i have six kids 8 and under and i had a good job but we just could not get ahead then i sat down and added up all my bills and i was paying my check plus two hundred dollars just for daycare do not worry about what other people say enjoy jour kids and stay home

Ebony63
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Up until 2 months ago I did exactly that, my work paid for daycare. When I was laid off, everyone kept asking when I was going to start looking for another job. They seemed baffled when I told them I will be staying home. I have had to explain to people for the last two months that DH makes enough that I can stay home because we only used my paycheck to pay for daycare.

I love it and I still cannot figure out why I haven't done this sooner. If it is financially stable for you to stay home, do it. I never realized just how much I missed until I was home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)